Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Use KNOX! It's the best label adhesive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Try microwaving the water till it just reaches boiling. Then add your gelatin.

I'll do some testing but I believe this actually "ruins" the gelatin and makes it useless for making something like jello. Ends up just getting really hard.

Maybe I'll also test the coating method too. Maybe a mist of it just isn't enough to work. When I smooth my labels out, a small amount will ooze out on either side of the label.

One thing I've also noticed is that in some applications, the label will stick when wet, etc. But if I take the corner and gently pull, I can peel the sucker off sometimes. Haven't seen one float off yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, it did occur to me later that maybe the temperature had something to do with it. The gelatin did dissolve completely and get "sticky" (as in a sugar sort of sticky) but maybe that gelatiny character requires the higher temperature. I'll give it another shot.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #23
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Not sure here, like I said, I'll try some further testing.

I did a serious soak test today while I was brewing. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance but the short of it is that the bottles lasted 8 hours in a sink of room temperature water without the labels floating off.

When I pulled them out, I was able to put my thumbnail through one of the labels and tear off the section of label in my thumbnail's path. Seemed like it'd be pretty easy to remove with a scour pad or a plastic square (like you might expect for a New Glarus label if you're familiar with them). I also tried seeing if I could just lift the label up from one of the corners but I couldn't do so without tearing the labels.

After that I left the two bottles out for about an hour (two hours? it was while I was cleaning up), they dried and were stuck on quite well still.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #24
el_kirk
knucklehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't tried this, as I generally keg all my beers. If this works though, this should be a ...

...wait for it...

...sticky!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
najel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cool idea! I have 150 bottles to label soon, so i think I will try this.
Just a question, if I get the bulk gelatin, can anyone look at a Knox packet and see how much is in one of those, to get the right ratio for mixing it?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by najel View Post
Cool idea! I have 150 bottles to label soon, so i think I will try this.
Just a question, if I get the bulk gelatin, can anyone look at a Knox packet and see how much is in one of those, to get the right ratio for mixing it?
2.5 tsp or 0.25oz (I think). I'm going to update my main post soon. I think I'm finding that it may be better to work with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water instead. I misread the measurement ticks my glass cup has. 3/4 cup of water worked for me still but it was pretty watery which made things a little harder to work with (soggy).

Old 10-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I did try this again, this time with 1 packet of knox gelatin in 1/2 cup of hottest tap water. It dissolved well and was still thin enough to spray easily from a spray bottle. Just to be safe I kept the spray bottle sitting in a bowl of hot water between uses but I'm not sure it made any difference. I had no clogging or cleaning issues. I spritzed each label 2-3 times with gelatin mixture and affixed the immediately to the bottles. Two weeks later and they are all still affixed. I soaked an empty bottle in room temperature water for 15 minutes and the label stayed well attached. A little while under hot tap water and it came right off. Just one trial, but looking good!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I did try this again, this time with 1 packet of knox gelatin in 1/2 cup of hottest tap water. It dissolved well and was still thin enough to spray easily from a spray bottle. Just to be safe I kept the spray bottle sitting in a bowl of hot water between uses but I'm not sure it made any difference. I had no clogging or cleaning issues. I spritzed each label 2-3 times with gelatin mixture and affixed the immediately to the bottles. Two weeks later and they are all still affixed. I soaked an empty bottle in room temperature water for 15 minutes and the label stayed well attached. A little while under hot tap water and it came right off. Just one trial, but looking good!
That's fantastic! I might try the spray bottle as well going forward. Beats painting it on and getting sticky gunk all over my fingers.

I might still recommend microwaving the water to get it good and hot, but hey if really hot tap water worked. I've amended my first post to reflect 1/2-3/4 cup of water to a packet. I think that's going to be the limit.

I really like this method of fixing labels and heck...even if it doesn't catch on, it will be my method of labeling. Seems like it's the right mix of stick and ease of removal. I had to prep some bottles this past weekend. I couldn't believe how easy it was to soak off the labels in some hot tap water. I had a whole case done in minutes. Meanwhile it took about 2 hours to go through the process of boiling off the labels (in OneStep) for the other case of "donated bottles".

Cold Smoking Hops Guide

Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #29
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

This is a great idea!! I've tried everything from milk (might as well have thrown the labels in the bottom of the fridge to start with) to 3M 77 spray adhesive (break out the pneumatic chisel!), but knew there had to be a middle ground somewhere. I will definitely be giving this a try next go round!

As for the mess, I came up with a contraption during my various spray adhesive attempts that might work well here as well. I used a PC fan mounted under a piece of foam, with small holes drilled in it, to create a vacuum that holds a label in place while adhesive is applied. You can then "roll" the bottle over the label to apply. This way you, or the front of the label, never come in contact with the adhesive.

photo-1-.jpg  

Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #30
thyirishmen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

what laser printer do you use? im looking to get one for this, but I don't want to spend a million bucks. I still want a quality print though. I was looking at this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828113695

Primary-None
Keg 1-Munich Helles
Keg 2-Vanilla Bean Stout

Quick Reply