Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Use KNOX! It's the best label adhesive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I have been using milk as well. Works perfectly well...except for that ice-chest label falling off thing. I'll give this a shot when I bottle this upcoming weekend. Is the gelatin mixture thin enough to spray on with a spray-bottle?
I would worry about the gelatin clogging up the spray bottle once it cools. I'd also maybe worry about the gelatin fast cooling while it's misted onto the label. Otherwise The mixture seems thin enough to more or less spray.

I like the idea though. Anything that could make application less messy. I always get sticky stuff all over my hands from having to hold the labels flat while brushing, and then from applying/smoothing the label out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

yeah, clogging of the nozzle was my concern as well. Probably still try it though...learn by failing! :-)

Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

That's a great idea and spray bottles are only a buck at the dollar store.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
That's a great idea and spray bottles are only a buck at the dollar store.
Know what's the difference between Beer nuts and Deer nuts? Deer nuts are always under a buck! <RIMSHOT>
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepart View Post
I would worry about the gelatin clogging up the spray bottle once it cools. I'd also maybe worry about the gelatin fast cooling while it's misted onto the label. Otherwise The mixture seems thin enough to more or less spray.

I like the idea though. Anything that could make application less messy. I always get sticky stuff all over my hands from having to hold the labels flat while brushing, and then from applying/smoothing the label out.
Could always flip the top into a tub of hot water until the slog dissolves....a few squirts to clear it out and back-in-badness!
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
CaptnCully
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Wow! Labels on home brew? I use a sharpie on the caps. 10 gal every other weekend = 100 bottles.. There are never enough full bottles sittin' around to need labels.! Just sayin'!! I need to start brewin' more or..... enjoying the part of brewin' that I really love less..: and that's drinking 'EM!! And yes I do share my beer with others!! Make great beer and you don't need a label for folks to remember where they got it from!!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
tracyt1800
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Nice! I'm definitely going to give this a try. At least for the ones I give away or set back to age. I've been doing the sharpie on the cap thing, too, and was looking for a better idea.

One beer is good.
Two beers is better.
Three beers is enough.
Four beers isn't half enough.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The labels for me make it much easier to see what I have in the refrigerator. If I had to pull out a bottle at a time to look to see what my cap label says (I also label the caps) it would drive me to put labels on my bottles.... Of course if, like you, I was going through 5 gallons of beer a week I doubt I would bother. I usually have 3 or 4 different beers bottled.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #19
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnCully View Post
Wow! Labels on home brew? I use a sharpie on the caps. 10 gal every other weekend = 100 bottles.. There are never enough full bottles sittin' around to need labels.! Just sayin'!! I need to start brewin' more or..... enjoying the part of brewin' that I really love less..: and that's drinking 'EM!! And yes I do share my beer with others!! Make great beer and you don't need a label for folks to remember where they got it from!!
Honestly labels are part of the brewing process for me. I like to do vector art in Illustrator and stuff like that. Gives me an outlet.

Brewing is a total package of hobbies that I like. I've literally combined mathematics, science, cooking, computers, print artwork, drinking beer, partying and just general manliness into one kill all hobby known as brewing.

Cold Smoking Hops Guide
People Like This 
Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I mixed one packet of Knox gelatin in 1 cup of hottest tap water. It dissolved well with a bit of stirring. I sprayed this on to printer paper labels and applied them to bottles. The process went well, just a bit of sticky residue on the bottles where I handled them. The labels stuck well and looked great once dried. After letting it dry for 1/2 hour I dunked it in cold water. Unfortunately, the labels came off in cold water even easier than they do with milk! I used the same amount as I do when I use milk, basically three spritzes to cover the label with droplets. Maybe I'll try it again, laying it on a little thicker.

Quick Reply