static vinyl labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
Did anyone try printing over white static vinyl for label making? should come off easy. I see a company called papilio has a 8.5" X 11" ink jet printable white and clear static sheet. They also recommend a spray to hold the color. This would seem to be a great Idea for people that make several different types of beer and want to change the labels with ease. What do you guys think? I ordered some test sheet and will let you know how it works. Tom

BeerLabel 1.jpg

I've been looking into using static vinyl clings. But I don't plan on printing on them or anything. I just need something clean, removable/reusable to label one bottle from the next. eBay has 12"x12" white sheets of it for a few bucks shipped. I'm thinking I'm just going to cut them into label size and write on them with dry erase marker/grease pencil. Cheap, easy, effective. Thoughts?

Well I bought these. I plan on cutting them to label size and seeing how they work. Ideally, I will be able to write on them, cling them to each bottle, remove them after drinking the bottle, and then wipe it clean so I can write something different next time. I'm hoping grease pencil or maybe dry erase will work.

But if I can't re-write on them, I'll just write small and put a strike though the words to re-use them. Like many probably do with blank paper labels, but these will be removable to aid in bottle washing.

Received the vinyl cling sheets. They cut easily and cling to the plastic bottles I have very well. The perfect amount of cling mixed with easy removal for reuse.

Dry erase and permanent Sharpie write beautifully on them. But, as expected, the dry erase does wipe off. If you're putting your beers in your "every day fridge" and will be bumping/touching/moving the bottles often to get other things in and out, dry erase may not be the best choice for you. But if they have their own fridge or even their own shelf, this is the absolute perfect solution. Ball point pen does write pretty decent, but takes a little coaxing. Wants to skip sometimes, but writes perfectly other times. It DOES wipe off, but leaves a "shadow" where the ink was. I'm going to roll with the dry erase marker for a little while. If I notice it accidently wiping off all the time to the point I can't tell what the beer is, I'll probably change to sharpie and just write small. Then cross out the name to write another one for re-use.

Back