Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Show Us Your Label

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #2941
glugglug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I think that depends on how many versions back. If your version has adjustment layer capability I think I would stick with Photoshop. Just my opinion, and I have never used Gimp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2942
ViperMan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glugglug View Post
I think that depends on how many versions back. If your version has adjustment layer capability I think I would stick with Photoshop. Just my opinion, and I have never used Gimp.
I'm using 7.0, which I know is a few versions old. I'm sure with some small effort I can get a newer version, though I heard they're going to an online subscription method to cut down on the pirating (and lol - like, it's about time!) I also really want to get my hands on Illustrator and play with it. But then again, I've literally taught myself to use Photoshop over the past 15 years, and while I'm certainly no whiz, I've had people completely blown away by the things I've done, from "modifying" cars (to simulate chops/channels/custom parts/paint/etc) to removing people/cars/buildings from photos, etc.

Here's one I did just the other day after a car show for my car club.

It's not even my best work, but unless I literally pointed out the alteration, I don't think anyone would notice the shadows on the left vertical post not quite matching the shadows on the yellow sign, or the thick wire at the top clipping oddly against the horizontal beam. (By the way that's me in the cargo shorts under the letter 'n'.)

I also just yesterday completed a beer trade with an Untappd user (got me some Terra Incognita!) and he emailed me back that he was blown away by the labels on the two homebrews I sent (The 0.0 Black IPA and the Chocolate Grapevine - both labels I've shared on this thread.)

I did download GIMP and gave it about 5 minutes... I was thoroughly annoyed by then. It certainly LOOKS robust and powerful, and for free?! Wow! But I think if you're already proficient at one, the other probably won't help you much...

Sorry to go off topic.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #2943
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperMan View Post
But I think if you're already proficient at one, the other probably won't help you much...

Sorry to go off topic.
This is very true. It is very hard to switch between them. I'm a long time GIMP user, and whenever I've tried using Photoshop (even before I started using GIMP), I thought it was a complete mess. Not because it is, it's just I'm used to things a certain way, same with Photoshop people. If you are proficient with Photoshop and have no problem paying for (or pirating) it, and don't care about open source software or cross-platform compatibility, then there's really no compelling reason to switch.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #2944
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 114

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program, here are a few I just finished.

For National Homebrew Day, our LHBS gave out 48 recipe kits and all got to brew outside in downtown Grand Rapids!

This one was my first try at making a recipe for an amber. It was originally called Jurassic Amber, but it got an infection. I'm assuming it was from pitching yeast the next day. We decided it worked okay as a sour, so we kept it.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #2945
itsme_timd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Skeeter Pee!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #2946
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

A few of my new ones:

mockingbird.jpg   shangri-la.jpg  

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #2947
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Used Gimp...

towheadedgnome-hbt.png  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #2948
dwshotwell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My latest labels.

summer-time-wheat.gif  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #2949
ViperMan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
A few of my new ones:
Now, just out of curiosity, did you find that image or somehow create it? If you found it, how/where did you find it?

Not that I want to use it, but it's such a specific image, and I don't know where to go to find such specific images...

For example I really wanted a side view of a doghouse with a dog's head poking out of it, overlooking a field, but damn if I could find something so specific without creating it, and I'm just not THAT good...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #2950
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperMan View Post
Now, just out of curiosity, did you find that image or somehow create it? If you found it, how/where did you find it?

Not that I want to use it, but it's such a specific image, and I don't know where to go to find such specific images...

For example I really wanted a side view of a doghouse with a dog's head poking out of it, overlooking a field, but damn if I could find something so specific without creating it, and I'm just not THAT good...
Some of it is creation, some of it is borrowing, a little bit of this and that. The top image of the sake label was created by bouncing back and forth between picmonkey and ribbet. The branch on the logo was hand drawn, the background was created from a stock picture of rice paper and the bird was clipart. As to the rice wine label, that background was borrowed from an artists interpretation and I added some quick text additions in Ribbet.

If these were commercial labels, I don't think it'd be cool to borrow other people's source material without permission. But, as these are for my home use and grace only my home brew, I keep my photoshop skills sharp this way.

If it were me, i'd probably have found either a picture of a cool dog in a field and then cropped in a doghouse, or found a cool dog house and cropped in a dog. I have to do that most often with labels like my Scorpion IPA. I took a cool stock photo of a black scorpion and cropped it out of one shot, then pasted it into the label before I airbrushed the tip of the stinger bright red. Different techniques for different labels.
scorpion-ipa.jpg  

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Quick Reply