*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Show Us Your Label

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #2921
jimpdx
Renaissance Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just brewed this on Saturday. OG of 1.099 so I am shooting for 10+%! Would be my first real high gravity HB.

citadel_dubbel.jpg  
Recent Brews: Crazy Horse Native American Pale Wheat, Sacre Bleu Napoleonic Stout, Akbar Emperial Indian Ale, Polly's Rum Raisin Smoked Porter, Citadel Belgian Quad, Carmen Caipiranda Tropical IPA (last 12 months)

https://facebook.com/albertabrewingco
https://untappd.com/albertabrewing (beers made)
https://untappd.com/jimpdx (beers drank!)
Pappers_ Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #2922
ViperMan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendj1 View Post
I think the gauges are a really neat idea. I think they really help for non beer geeks who don't know 75 ibus from 75 hogsheads. Couldn't you just keep the font size of the gauges the same and decrease the size of the gauges themselves if you want to make them smaller?
Not really - if you shrink the "tick marks" and not the numbers, then "40 50 60" becomes "405060" - then again shrink the numbers too, and you get "xososo" - you can't read it anymore.

I actually had this idea as well - getting rid of the numbers and needles, shrinking the gauges more and just keeping the LCD readout - basically it becomes a "digital gauge". Here's a rendition:

And incorporated into the label itself...

Now I just printed this out, and the identifiers for each number - "ABV", "IBU", etc - becomes hard to read, but a drop shadow or outerglow on the layer could help that. It is getting pretty small though - I might need to bump up to 400 dpi (everything is currently 300) and that makes finding detailed-enough source images for the backgrounds pretty tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
As usual, you've outdone yourself! My vote is on the larger label, but both are outstanding. Just wondering if you have some inside information - Is that a picture of an up and coming MOPAR product?
Haha - thanks. No the background image is from EVE Online - an MMORPG video game. With the (top) label being printed, I'm going to pose the bottles against some in-game screen shots and actually advertise it back to the company who makes the game - CCP Games out of Iceland. I'm kinda hoping they'll A ) make the beer an in-game item that can be bought/traded/sold, or even B ) wish to procure a few kegs/cases for their annual player conventions/parties (held in Iceland and Las Vegas) and - since I can't sell them the beer directly - I could possibly trade it for lifetime memberships, swag, in-game currency, who knows.

Just a thought...

The beer by the way - people like it...

Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #2923
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Made for end of the year softball party... Team - Gashouse Gorillas

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #2924
scavenge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Made more to figure out what the hell I'm doing in GIMP than anything else.
Girlfriend requested a raspberry chocolate stout, still working the recipe. Description needs to be more...noir-ish, and the front label is even more of a dark blurry mess when printed. I want to keep the name text dark, figuring out a way to make it readable.

Front:

Back:

ONTAP: 7.3.2, 7.3.6, 8.0.2P3 7-Mode
Ruminating Upon: Earl Grey Mead
Fondly Remembered: Leftover Casserole Stout
reverendj1 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #2925
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3371 Times on 2083 Posts
Likes Given: 2881

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavenge View Post
Girlfriend requested a raspberry chocolate stout, still working the recipe. Description needs to be more...noir-ish, and the front label is even more of a dark blurry mess when printed. I want to keep the name text dark, figuring out a way to make it readable.

Front:

Back:
I like what you're trying to do there. Obviously you'll need lighter text. When you've got GIMP figured out, teach me

Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #2926
bregiz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Here are the labels I threw together for my first few brews. A Cider, and a spiced short mead.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #2927
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:

Maybe try selecting a color from the picture, like the red in her dress, and do a fine border around the black text. I don't use GIMP but I'd think it would be doable and would help it stand out against the "almost" black parts of the background.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #2928
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 653

Quote:
Just remember, how it looks on your screen is way more brighter than when you print. Photoshop has an option to show you how it looks printed, don't know about GIMP. Think of it this way, the colors on your screen are being EMITTED from the screen, they actually light up the color, this is not what happens on the paper. Brighten up the whole image and print a few...you'll figure it out.

PS-Laptops are really bad with this, the angle of the laptop affects how bright it appears. I teach photography and this happens all the time, students are very disappointed with the printed result as to what they saw on a computer

Old 07-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #2929
scavenge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Just remember, how it looks on your screen is way more brighter than when you print. Photoshop has an option to show you how it looks printed, don't know about GIMP. Think of it this way, the colors on your screen are being EMITTED from the screen, they actually light up the color, this is not what happens on the paper.
Good point. The rattletrap printer I'm working with is nothing like top-end either, so the prints come out a lot more pixellated than it looks on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
PS-Laptops are really bad with this, the angle of the laptop affects how bright it appears.
Ugh, tell me about it. 'S a pain in me arse working on this at home, every time I shift position I have to tilt the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Maybe try selecting a color from the picture, like the red in her dress, and do a fine border around the black text.
Yeah, I think that's the way to go. I found a how-to on outlining text with the Paths tool, but the only hitch is that it will only outline it in black. Which works fine for this, since I think black outlining red would look better than vice-versa.

Lightened up the red in the name, outlined it in black, kept some drop shadow and brightened up the whole thing. I kinda like it. I have a more current version of GIMP on my laptop at home, when I get back I'll try the 'Oilify' filter on the name text so it looks painted. The version I have on this computer just makes things look blurry and messy.

Still not certain I'm going to use this pic, I have a handful of potential candidates.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #2930
scavenge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
So i found some surreal art i had to use because of the bee's nest in the hair of the girl...its seemed perfect for mead...i had to snatch it up and use it for my strawberry-vanilla. Hard to see it in the photo but it turned out great IMO.

Those are just awesome. I love the look of the paper, the tone of the artwork and text, the burnt edges. Amazing.

Quick Reply