New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Show Us Your Label

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #1031
redstache
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

First labels I've done. Thought I would do something I could use for several different batches. Left spots to write the abv and volume. Think I'll add a spot for a brew date and a batch name on one side. Printed at office depot and applied with milk.

--
The Red Stache

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #1032
bmooney33
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstache
First labels I've done. Thought I would do something I could use for several different batches. Left spots to write the abv and volume. Think I'll add a spot for a brew date and a batch name on one side. Printed at office depot and applied with milk.
I like it man, crisp printing... very nice

Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #1033
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism

it is probably just me but the contrast of sharp well defined lines/text box with the more dull background looks out of place. also the tonal differences aren't just right...a pink hue fading to blue, with a black center image AND gold lining...the elements don't blend well to me but its just an opinion. plus, you say it took an hour...my labels don't take me a long time, but this looks like it should have taken less than an hour. the only "difficult" thing here is coloring the donkey. other than that...its a couple of textures and a few lines of text with transparency.
Sounds like you went to art school or something?!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #1034
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
Sounds like you went to art school or something?!
Thats what I though...a long post criticizing a label with nothing constructive in it...smells of an art history major or something

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #1035
dand9066
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A buddy of mine designed this for me but left out the side notes about pouring and the alc content. First draft. Might do a separate label on the neck with that info. not sure yet

Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #1036
kurtism
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Thats what I though...a long post criticizing a label with nothing constructive in it...smells of an art history major or something
ha....no art history for me. i took real classes...hard ones too. i just like da photoshop...i likes it alot!

the reason for lack of constructive criticism is that the guy who posted it said...
1) a friend made it...
2) ...a while ago and
3) his friend is a professional game designer

taken together there is little reason to offer advice because the designer likely won't see the comments and may not revisit a past project that might have been printed and used already.

most importantly, the poster thinks this label is awesome and that his friend is an excellent designer. the latter may be true, but the former is clearly subjective. that it took an hour to make is a comment directed at the relative ease his friend had in making this label. that's somewhat insultive to the efforts others put in without any understanding to the process. hence my criticism.

Too many brews...too few bottles!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #1037
kurtism
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand9066 View Post
A buddy of mine designed this for me but left out the side notes about pouring and the alc content. First draft. Might do a separate label on the neck with that info. not sure yet
i would recommend revisiting the image fade. if i were him, i'd duplicate the image, set transparency to about 20%, fade that, then overlap (maybe even dodge the color to make it pop) and fade the top image. that way the transition from red to house image isn't abrupt.

otherwise...it looks cool. do you have labels that are this pattern or are you going to hand cut them.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #1038
1stTimer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah I certainly wasnt trying to insult anyone. Not sure how you got that from the post. I would have to agree with Calic and Dave. The point of saying it took an hour was that I think my buddy is an outstanding artist. If you're insulted then I would say you are far too sensitive and read into stuff a little much. And I disagree with your assesment

Dand, thats a sweet label. Love the covered bridge.

Secondary: Black RyePA, Sour
Currently in Bottles: Zaporter part deux, Black Betty Oaked Bourbon Porter
Currently in Kegs: Donkey Milk Stout, Galaxy IPA

Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #1039
kurtism
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsigmon1103 View Post
I'm a Beginner!!
good job. i especially like that you put approximate abv...gold star for accuracy.

are you keeping the general style going for other brews or making them all different?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #1040
dand9066
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism

i would recommend revisiting the image fade. if i were him, i'd duplicate the image, set transparency to about 20%, fade that, then overlap (maybe even dodge the color to make it pop) and fade the top image. that way the transition from red to house image isn't abrupt.

otherwise...it looks cool. do you have labels that are this pattern or are you going to hand cut them.
I'll show him what you said. Overall I'm pleased. I don't have a pattern. I'm only labeling a six pack or two of each beer I make so I won't mind cutting them. I'm a noob but I want to keep one of each kind unopened for years just for keepsake. My business deals with a local print shop so I can get awesome prices on vinyl stick labels.

Quick Reply