Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Printing at Kinkos; Sticking with Milk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
ChiN8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Printing at Kinkos; Sticking with Milk

To all who use the method listed in the title of this thread;

I have created a label using photoshop. I have tiled it to fit 4 labels per page; 4.5w x 3.5h. I was just about to print via online and pickup in store and I just randomly decided to try it on my own paper using my ink jet printer first forr a trial run.

Now I know that when printed at Kinkos, the ink will not run because they use laser printers... but I printed my label on my inkjet printer cut and applied with glue. It did stick VERY well, but wetting the label using milk made it look like SHYTE!

So who ever has printed at kinkos and stuck with milk, did you use a matte paper or regular kinkos #24? Did you use a gloass paper for a more professional look? and when you wet the label with milk did it ruin the label?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Regular kinkos paper. I do this with all my batches. The reason your -inkjet- label looked horrible when applied with milk is because the ink runs with moisture. Laser printed labels don't. The only time mine start to run is when I'm washing them off, which takes 4 seconds under warm water, then just rub downward and the whole thing slides right off.

Do it, man, it's a great and cheap method and comes off amazingly easy.

Print your label with your inkjet, then take it to the color laser copier at Kinkos, and cut/apply them with some milk on the back (I use a basting brush). People are always amazed that milk is what's holding them on so securely.

Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".
cheesehed007 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Kerberbb
Recipes 

I keg everything but always bottle off at least 1 beer into a bottle for my collection. I use kinko regular laser paper. Should be $0.59. I use them because I like using their cropping/cutting table. I secure mine with either adheive spray or just a 3m glue stick. They come off amazingly easy when you wash bottles. I have even gotten into the habit of just printing a 8x10 to put on my kegs. You can spray clear paint over the labels and it will make them much more water resistant.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:39 AM   #4
ChiN8
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberbb View Post
I keg everything but always bottle off at least 1 beer into a bottle for my collection. I use kinko regular laser paper. Should be $0.59. I use them because I like using their cropping/cutting table. I secure mine with either adheive spray or just a 3m glue stick. They come off amazingly easy when you wash bottles. I have even gotten into the habit of just printing a 8x10 to put on my kegs. You can spray clear paint over the labels and it will make them much more water resistant.
What would be a good spray adhesive that would still come off easily?

Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
2pugbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiN8 View Post
To all who use the method listed in the title of this thread;

I have created a label using photoshop. I have tiled it to fit 4 labels per page; 4.5w x 3.5h. I was just about to print via online and pickup in store and I just randomly decided to try it on my own paper using my ink jet printer first forr a trial run.

Now I know that when printed at Kinkos, the ink will not run because they use laser printers... but I printed my label on my inkjet printer cut and applied with glue. It did stick VERY well, but wetting the label using milk made it look like SHYTE!

So who ever has printed at kinkos and stuck with milk, did you use a matte paper or regular kinkos #24? Did you use a gloass paper for a more professional look? and when you wet the label with milk did it ruin the label?
I have been using www.says-it.com. Print w/ my inkjet on15# paper. When i apply, I use milk but I brush it on the bottle. ink never runs

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use an ink jet printer for all my wine labels as I do not bottle my beers (Yet!), I keg for now. Prior to placing the labels on the bottles, I spray them with a clear coat of spray from a can and allow them to dry completely (do this in a well ventilated area).

I no longer have problems with ink running and the labels still come off the bottle with no problems.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
DLB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeTaps View Post
Print your label with your inkjet, then take it to the color laser copier at Kinkos, and cut/apply them with some milk on the back (I use a basting brush). People are always amazed that milk is what's holding them on so securely.
Does it matter what type of milk? Whole, Skim? And it really holds that well huh? First time I ever heard that! Very cool!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLB View Post
Does it matter what type of milk? Whole, Skim? And it really holds that well huh? First time I ever heard that! Very cool!
It works. I recently did a test with just blank paper on a bottle, a little milk to make it stick, and it stuck very well when it dried. It sounded too simple and easy to be true, but it actually works.

Edit: That was 2% milk, by the way.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
DLB
Recipes 

Very cool. And it doesn't smell like soured milk I assume, right? It evaporates off, and it's good to go?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

yea i was all about making a milk paste but all i did was dip my finger in and run it along the back of the label in a pattern and BOOMWHAMMOCRAZYEXPLOSIONS it stuck! no stinkiness either.

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Quick Reply