Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Pirate Stout.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #21
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ausome label, I have always had a passion for ocean themes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #22
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Sorry...I dropped the ball.

Here is what I was thinking...Not sure if it's technically a stout, but close enough for me.
I think I'm going to need to convert to AG. I have 3 more AG batches ahead of this, but it should brew by the beginning or middle of August.

7 ½# Dark LME
½# Roasted Barley
3/4# Black Patent Malt
½# Crystal Malt 60L
½# Torified Wheat
1 1/2 oz Northern Boiling Hops
1 package of ale yeast.

Steep Grains to 165, Then remove and add LME, Bring to Boil. Add Hops for 60 minutes, cool and pitch yeast.
Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Rack onto 3 cups grated Confectioners Coconut, and let it sit for 10 days. Be carefull to avoid the oil that will be on top of the beer when racking to bottle bucket.
Bottle with 5 oz Priming sugar and 1 1/2 Litre of Rum. Appleton Estates.
this may be a noobie kinda question, but wouldn't that much rum bring the alcohol content too high for the yeast to carbonate the beer, being over the toxicity level of the yeast (depending on what yeast you use of course)

Also, I wonder if using dried coconut shavings would work better, that oil is going to kill your head retention.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
this may be a noobie kinda question, but wouldn't that much rum bring the alcohol content too high for the yeast to carbonate the beer, being over the toxicity level of the yeast (depending on what yeast you use of course)

Also, I wonder if using dried coconut shavings would work better, that oil is going to kill your head retention.
Good Point on both. My math skills suck, but I figure 1 1/2 ltr of rum will add less than 2% ABV. I have done it before (Bananas on the Beach in "My Recipe") and it carbed just fine.

I think I'm going to actually toast some dry coconut in the oven just before adding to the beer...and I'm only going to do 1/2 the batch with the coconut, just in case....

Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I think I'm going to actually toast some dry coconut in the oven just before adding to the beer...and I'm only going to do 1/2 the batch with the coconut, just in case....
That sounds about right, I predict that the coconut one will taste awesome, but you'll lose out on the head.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Last edited by Freezeblade; 06-25-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #26
beergorila
Recipes 

OK ... I finally have the ingredients now for the hallowed Coconut Rum Stout! I plan to brew this in about 3 weeks when my other 2 Fall brews are through the vessels.

I plan to use an actual coconut -- into the SECONDARY I'll dry-hop shaved coconut meat (I love that term) which will 1st be lightly toasted in the oven, and perhaps even add some of the milk in as well. It should be sterile from being naturally in the coconut, no?

I also plan to add 13oz of Cruzan Single Barrel Estate rum (my favorite sippin' rum) to the Secondary.

I'll leave the "Pirate" nomenclature to BigKahuna for originally, and inadvertantly, crafting this idea for me.

Any other random thoughts out there? I really can't wait for this one ... I've been wanting to try this now for months!!

On Tap: Oatmeal Stoutlaw, 80 Shill
Up Next: IIPA

Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #27
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
but you'll lose out on the head.

Here is a Pick that toastermm posted of the finished product....Head looks fine to me.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #28
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This thread is what made me join home brew talk, so congratulations all of you. This recipe moved right up behind the pumpkin ale I'm about to brew. My mind is having trouble grasping how this thing would taste...other than amazing. A couple of questions come to mind however. First, what temp and how long are you planning on toasting the coconut? The second thing that I noticed was that beergorila was only planning on adding 13 oz of rum, which is about a quarter of what BigK was originally projecting. I really enjoy my rum, so I would probably lean toward at least a fifth, and since I'll be force carbing I'm not too worried about overdoing it. The last thing I wanted to know is how long did you let it sit in the secondary before bottling? Hope this stirs up some more convo on the subject. This may be something for a different post, but has anyone ever tried adding amaretto to a stout? I recently had a flaming dr pepper, and was wondering if you could infuse some of that flavor into a beer.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 AM   #29
toastermm

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The last thing I wanted to know is how long did you let it sit in the secondary before bottling?
I actually didn't use a secondary, but I did let it sit 5-6 days extra in the primary, for a total of 11 days. I have no comparison to this method for this beer, as I only brewed it once. But it was a HUGE hit. As soon as it was ready- it was gone in two nights. My biggest hit so far.

Bottled: Quad, Cherry Dubbel, Sour Brown, Flanders Red, 12-12-12 Wee Heavy.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenanchor View Post
This thread is what made me join home brew talk, so congratulations all of you.
Doesn't this mean I get a reference point?

Quick Reply