Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > painted bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I believe they screenprint them on.

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd have to disagree withmforsman,

I've silk-screened onto both glass and curved surfaces (but not both at once). There are a lot of paints which will screen nicely onto glass, that don't need baking (although baked ones tend to be more durable). Standard painters (as in artists, not the guys who do your house) acrylic paint will produce a nice finish with no baking. I have a glass I did with a scout group I led years ago - it was done with acrylic, has been used hundreds of time, and 12 years later the artwork remains undamaged. Check you local art-supply store; they'll have dozens of options.

Curved surfaces can be a bit more tricky. If you're doing the main body of the bottle (i.e. where its "flat" in the vertical direction) its not too bad - you first need to remove the screen from its frame. Attach the screen to the bottle and hold it in place with tape on either end. Add the smallest amount of paint you can, and wipe with the squeegie. With a bit of practice you can get a nice label without having paint leak off the side of the screen (leaving unsightly lines on the bottle).

The neck of the bottle is another beast; the screen needs to be trimmed to provide equal curvature - not an easy task (if you don't do this, it'll tend to buckle). If you can cut it to lay flat (best bet is trial-and-error with paper, using a successful one as a template on the screen), you can tape and paint as I described above.

I do agree with mforsman point that a stencil is easier, but much more limiting. Multi-colour labels, in either case, are extremely difficult as you must perfectly align a different stencil or screen for each colour.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
reiffer75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about etching?...i stopped by Hobby Lobby (art n craft store) and they had a glass etching kit that looked pretty simple to use. Curious how it would look on the amber colored bottles tho. Thoughts?

Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #14
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Warthaug, it's true it is possible I just don't recommend trying it. For the value that another shop can offer, and the years of experience it's clear exactly what you'll get. When attempting it yourself, it's a whole different game. I'm all for DIY, and that's why I recommend printing labels or stenciling. Hell, have some clear stickers printed.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Warthaug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiffer75 View Post
How about etching?...i stopped by Hobby Lobby (art n craft store) and they had a glass etching kit that looked pretty simple to use. Curious how it would look on the amber colored bottles tho. Thoughts?
Most that I've seen use the sticker-type stencils, meaning you'd have to make a new stencil for each bottle you'd want to etch. But it should show up as a white-coloured marking after. Etching chemically modifies the glass, making it opaque. It will show up on coloured glass as a white area.

Bryan

Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Warthaug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mforsman View Post
Warthaug, it's true it is possible I just don't recommend trying it. For the value that another shop can offer, and the years of experience it's clear exactly what you'll get. When attempting it yourself, it's a whole different game. I'm all for DIY, and that's why I recommend printing labels or stenciling. Hell, have some clear stickers printed.
If kids 8-12 years of age can do a decent job, I see no reason why anyone here couldn't. DIY may not be as "perfect", but you could say the same about home-brewed beer as well...

...and I know where we all stand on the later.

Bryan

Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #17
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

To each their own. Wish we could put our differences aside over a homebrew, but the internet will have to do!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #18
bhaff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a few ten gallon batches for a friends wedding and we silk screened die cut vinyl. Two ten gallon batches into 12 oz bottles with the exception of one champagne style bottle of each style. Turned out slick. I may do a stock label to have around for special batches.

image-4048975510.jpg   image-3430658414.jpg   image-4126824737.jpg  

Old 07-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
bhaff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a few more pictures.

image-2048508896.jpg   image-2917509982.jpg  

Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #20
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Those labels look really slick! Nicely done.

Quick Reply