Need a label? I need a thicker portfolio!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrueMonty

Reaction score
While I'm happy that I have a job, I'm not so happy with the fact that it's dead-end and not in my field. All the jobs I'm looking at need a more extensive graphics portfolio.

So: if you need a label soon and either lack the time, editing programs, or ability to make one on your own, I'll offer my services in return for a glamour shot or two of the finished product on your bottle. This way you have a label that was as cheap as they come, and I can fluff my portfolio up a bit.

All I need from you is the size you plan to make your labels, the booze you're brewing, and any basic concepts you've got in your head. Have a sketch on a napkin? Take a picture and send it to me. Have nothing but a name (or not even that)? Give me free reign and I'll give you a few different, quick ideas and put more effort into the one you like best.

Let me know in a reply or a private message, this forum has helped me a lot and I'd really like to give back to you guys (while also giving back to myself; I may be doing it for free but if it helps me get a better job that'd be nice. I also wouldn't say no to a bottle or two :D)

Okay, I'm game.

I have an Irish Red that I call, "Red-Haired Lass" and I'd like to give it a nice label. I'm thinking mostly greens and reds for the label with yellow/gold lettering and some accents. I'd like a red-haired lass as the focal point in a green flowing gown. Alluring but not slutty. The name of my brewery is "Two-Bit Brewing." As for size...how about...7.5" wide by 5" tall?

Flood Gates: Engage.

Standard beer label size is fine... can't remember what the size is off the top.

I've got a Citrosaic Wheat Pale, 50 IBU, 6.7% abv

The name of my "brewery" (basement?) is DT Brewhouse.

Thinking a play on the word "Citrosaic" being some kind of jurassic time period type-thing... but incorporating the hops into the image as well. I am a fan of highly stylized drawings/cartoon type images.

Go! Haha.

I'd love to see what you come up with.

Brewery: Dr. Death's Remedies
Brew: Apfelwein

Size: 4.25" wide x 3.75" tall @ 300dpi.

Thank you kindly for the offer!

Been looking for a Logo! All I've got is a name. Go Nuts!

12 Paw Brewery
Size: 4.25" wide x 3.75" tall

Brewery name is dirty girl brewing (throw back from when wife used to help)

Thus far all of our labels have been pin up girl style, and would like to keep that theme.

Some names of our brews are

Donkey Punch double IPA
Hop on the Bus IPA
Cleveland Steamer California Common
Brown eye Nut Brown Ale
Svetlana the Cruel Russian Imperial Stout
In the Hay Hefeweizen.

You get the idea.

Been looking for a brewery logo for awhile. Brewery name is Boneyard Brewing. All of my beers are named after bones or surgical procedures. Tap handles are made from fake bones and out of date Orthopaedic implants. Would love something to put in the brew house or on the front of the kegerator.

I'm game as well!

Going off the brewery name, the brew that I've got the most creative name for is still currently in R&D. But it's an IPA/DIPA that I want to call "Snake Oil." The idea in my head is a rattlesnake with hops for fangs. Snake head right up in your face on the center of the label.

Thanks for the kick-ass offer of services! :mug:

Also looking for a brewery logo. Charred Brew is the brewery name, something nautical (i.e. old sailing ships) is the theme.

Thanks for helping out!!

Not looking for a beer label, but a brewery logo would be great. I call my operation Sunset Brewing and have a very basic design. Anything that you could to to improve it would be awesome. Here is what I currently have.

Sunset Brewing Logo.jpg

Sunset Bottle Cap_noborder2.png

BottlesCaps2.jpg

I'll help to overwhelm you alittle bit, I brew a cream ale based off biermuncher's co3c that I call grouch azz. I was thinking an antique looking color with a caricature similar to Jeff Dunham's Walter puppet except ya know without the copyright infringement

Hey all! Thanks for all the responses, and apologies for not getting a message out to you sooner! The first few requests I got were received via private message, and I've been so busy with work (10-12 hour shifts this week, ugh) and working on the pm requests that I forgot to explain myself! I realize it probably looks like I'm not doing anything since all my results have been private so far, but I've got one more to finish up before I get to work on the posted requests, starting with LandoLincoln's "Red Haired Lass" Irish Red and working my way down, with a few private message requests sprinkled in according to the time/date that the requests were received.

While y'all wait, I've got a couple of questions for you:

1. Once you have the label (if you like it!) which website would you use to order labels? Or do you print your own? Sometimes it helps to keep things in scale, as every website tends to differ their label designs by a small margin.

2. If you print your own, would you use template stickers with set dimensions, or full sheet and cut out each design individually? This allows for more creative designs than the typical rectangle or oval but I know from experience that it's very annoying to sit at the kitchen table for three hours with a pair of scissors, and I wouldn't wish that on any of you.

All in all I got a good number of requests; not too many to finish in a timely manner, but definitely an impressive amount, this should prove to be a lot of fun (and, as I've already figured out, pretty challenging. But that's sort of the point, no?)

If you download the grog tag templates and use those, people could just upload the artwork and print for themselves. Just a thought, they have a lot of various sizes. rectangle, oval, w/ neckers. etc...Check the signature for a discount code.

Good on you for diving into something you love to improve your design skills. I've been an Art Director for years now and beer labels are still my favorite projects.

Hey man... nice thread idea, good luck digging your way out of it though. If you find the time, it should make for a rather interesting and impressive portfolio. Maybe you don't even need to worry about the size of the labels and let the 'client' take care of that. In most cases, just giving someone a design will help immensely. I've got one for you in the event you end up with some spare time.

I would use a label for a 12oz bottle, either rectangle or oval...
A design drawn up well enough, I'd instead print larger and stick to my keg...

Beer: Bad Day IPA
Style: Trash Polka
Content: Your complete interpretation; darker the better

Looking forward to seeing some of your finished work.

I print them on paper, cut out and glue stick 'em on... well, when I bottled anyway. Always turned out decent.

Hey man... nice thread idea, good luck digging your way out of it though. If you find the time, it should make for a rather interesting and impressive portfolio. Maybe you don't even need to worry about the size of the labels and let the 'client' take care of that. In most cases, just giving someone a design will help immensely. I've got one for you in the event you end up with some spare time.

I would use a label for a 12oz bottle, either rectangle or oval...
A design drawn up well enough, I'd instead print larger and stick to my keg...

Beer: Bad Day IPA
Style: Trash Polka
Content: Your complete interpretation; darker the better

Looking forward to seeing some of your finished work.

Agreed, I'd be fine with just a design and thanks again!

Hey all! Thanks for all the responses, and apologies for not getting a message out to you sooner! The first few requests I got were received via private message, and I've been so busy with work (10-12 hour shifts this week, ugh) and working on the pm requests that I forgot to explain myself! I realize it probably looks like I'm not doing anything since all my results have been private so far, but I've got one more to finish up before I get to work on the posted requests, starting with LandoLincoln's "Red Haired Lass" Irish Red and working my way down, with a few private message requests sprinkled in according to the time/date that the requests were received.

While y'all wait, I've got a couple of questions for you:

1. Once you have the label (if you like it!) which website would you use to order labels? Or do you print your own? Sometimes it helps to keep things in scale, as every website tends to differ their label designs by a small margin.

2. If you print your own, would you use template stickers with set dimensions, or full sheet and cut out each design individually? This allows for more creative designs than the typical rectangle or oval but I know from experience that it's very annoying to sit at the kitchen table for three hours with a pair of scissors, and I wouldn't wish that on any of you.

All in all I got a good number of requests; not too many to finish in a timely manner, but definitely an impressive amount, this should prove to be a lot of fun (and, as I've already figured out, pretty challenging. But that's sort of the point, no?)

I was planning on printing it out on paper and then gluing them to the bottles with a glue stick or try making some rice glue. Thanks again for working on this stuff.

Please post your work when you are done, i would love to see it.

I've thrown together some stupid on-the-fly sketches, printed them out and then 'glued' them on my bottles using 2% milk. I don't know where I heard about that, but it works surprisingly well.

Just as an FYI, you might want to consider signing up on www.FIVERR.com and selling your services on there. I have had a few designs/logos done there and it works out really well for me. You get to build your portfolio AND you get paid. Might be a good move for you....

Okay, I'm game.

I have an Irish Red that I call, "Red-Haired Lass" and I'd like to give it a nice label. I'm thinking mostly greens and reds for the label with yellow/gold lettering and some accents. I'd like a red-haired lass as the focal point in a green flowing gown. Alluring but not slutty. The name of my brewery is "Two-Bit Brewing." As for size...how about...7.5" wide by 5" tall?

How's this as a preliminary?
redhairedlasslabel.jpg
So it's apparently been awhile since I've had any class that deals with the human form because I've forgotten how freaking difficult it is to draw actual people. If this isn't what you were hoping for, I completely understand. If it is acceptable let me know and I can put more info on it (abv, style, etc.) if you want.

Either way let me know, and sorry for how long this took, second shift doesn't really give me as much time as I want to work on these.

It's good! I like it. I think I'd prefer to have the woman moved downwards, just to see how that would look. Good work!

It seems that you may have overbooked but I'll get in the queue.

The brewery is "NASTY RABBIT".
I don't bottle but I use 3"x4" adhesive magnets to attach to my keg o rator.

These are the typical offerings but a blank template where text could be added would also be nice.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428419132.837766.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428419192.641586.jpg

Any up grades or improvements would be appreciated.

I just noticed in your profile that you're from PA. I'm originally from Aliquippa, just a little north of Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Back