Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > need help with label printing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
stephenkentucky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default need help with label printing

Hi guys
Im just a poor old scroggin brewer from Australia, I have an inkjet printer, my problem is that every label I print runs when it gets wet. I am about due to buy a new printer and was wondering if anyone had some advice as to what sort I should buy to enable me to print labels which will not run every time I pour a beer.
I would sure appreciate your help
thanks
Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well, you can buy label paper that is smudge proof....it helps. I use Avery smudge prrof ones, and unless I actually spill beer or water on the label...it doesn't run. Or you can spray a clear laquer on the finsihed labels to seal them. FInal option is to find someone wiht a color laser printer. Some on here use Kinko's, as their prices aren't terrible.

-Todd

Old 08-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Most of the inks and papers available on the market aren't intended for wet use. You can purchase these specialty papers on the internet and probably in a lof ot craft stores. Regular labels (like shipping labels) have an adhesive that is pretty water soluble and the surface (printing area) is generally very porous to accomodate the cheapest ink and bubble jets.

So basically, the label will look nice when it's on the dry, warm bottle but if you drink it on a hot day, the condensation will eventually transfer the label graphic from the paper to the palm of your hand.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
kvh
Recipes 

It doesn't matter what ink-jet printer you get, the ink is waterbased and WILL bleed eventually.

You could get a Laser printer - it uses toner like a copy machine does... It will never bleed. Of course, it costs a lot more to buy up front, and even more if you want one that prints in color.

As a short term fix - it would be cheaper to print one page in color and then have it color xeroxed which won't bleed -- let's say 9 labels to a page, 5 pages will cover most of a batch. That shouldn't cost more than 5 dollars.

All that being said, the more labels you stick on, the more you need to peel back off for the next batch. I found a weird specialty glue from my day-job which is latex based and peels off fairly easily... Otherwise it'd just be a sticker on the cap for me.

Cheers mate!

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

...then again you could always just label the caps like a lot of us do...

Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
BrewLabels
Recipes 

I could make you Labels with the same equipment that the pros use. They would be waterproof industrial labels at good prices. Lemme know.

Quick Reply