Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Need Brewery Logo Critiquing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
OprFilth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need Brewery Logo Critiquing

Howdy everybody. First time poster, long time lurker here.

Below is my brewery logo that I designed and looking for some help on. I was kind of going for that old time saloon sign feel but feel like it's a bit lacking and was hoping some of the pros on here could offer up some advice/help.

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The mug looks very... placed on there. It is out of sorts with the rest of the image. You're also pushing down the name to fit it in, and your "EST" and "1995" are not aligned properly. And the background looks like one of those pictures you stare at and a shape pops out. I guess it is because the grain is just repeated at such a high rate.

Try one without a mug or pick one that doesn't look like clip art and out of place. Try to add dimension to the border. I like the shape, but I think you need to give it life and depth.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
CromBrew
Recipes 

I like the clean look. Id work on the text a bit.

"Beer is proof God wants us to be happy."

Old 08-27-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
sethful
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Personally, I don't understand why people put Est. xxxx when it has been a short amount of time... that's just me though.

+1 to what Carne said.

~Seth

Accidentally Good Brewing
Bloomington, IL

Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
OprFilth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
The mug looks very... placed on there. It is out of sorts with the rest of the image. You're also pushing down the name to fit it in, and your "EST" and "1995" are not aligned properly. And the background looks like one of those pictures you stare at and a shape pops out. I guess it is because the grain is just repeated at such a high rate.

Try one without a mug or pick one that doesn't look like clip art and out of place. Try to add dimension to the border. I like the shape, but I think you need to give it life and depth.
Yeah, now that you mention it the mug is definitely not fitting in well with the rest of it. I actually borrowed that mug off a real wooden sign (photo) thinking that it might match up well, guess not. I'll also adjust the background so it doesn't get repeated so much.

When you say the "EST" and "2005" are not aligned properly what do you mean? The reason I ask is because I have the "EST", the mug, and "2005" horizontally aligned along and evenly distributed.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethful View Post
Personally, I don't understand why people put Est. xxxx when it has been a short amount of time... that's just me though.

+1 to what Carne said.
Not sure why but I've always like it when breweries put their date of establishment. For me it's a bit more personal that way even if they've only been in operation a short while.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
OprFilth
Recipes 

Working off the suggestions I have a couple new versions of the logo. All versions have a new wood grain so that it doesn't look like a 3-d poster.

Regular Text/Regular Plaque

Regular Text/Cracked Plaque

Cracked Text/Cracked Plaque

As you can tell I'm not very good at this but I'm trying my heart out.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Much better! All three new ones are getting there. Now you need a fitting image up top and to figure out how to manipulate that image to fit with the sign style.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To answer your direct question first...

I agree with the mug assessment. Good idea to get rid of it. Truth be told, however, I preferred that plaque to the others. Having said that...

OK, so I'm going to go analytical on you. Your brewery name is Two Track Brewery. Your logo has nothing to do with "two tracks." You don't need a picture, but the purpose of a logo is to represent the feeling/purpose/direction of your brand. So my question to you is, what does a wooden plaque say about your brand or how does it tie into "two tracks?"

If the answer is "I don't know" or "I thought it would look cool" then perhaps you should think about what what you want your logo to say. You took the time to name your brewery so your logo should somehow relate to that and both should say something about your brand (why that's important to you, what you want people to think about when they hear/see your beer, etc). Believe it or not, people will form an impression on a product or company based on your logo - even when the logo is for somebody's hobby.

Sorry to dive so deep. My wife is a graphic designer and I've heard this conversation a million times with her and her clients.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Last edited by cimirie; 08-27-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Much better! All three new ones are getting there. Now you need a fitting image up top and to figure out how to manipulate that image to fit with the sign style.

You don't need an image. I'm not saying you can't have one, but think about all of beer labels you can. How many of them actually have a picture? Definitely some, but not most.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
gee8648
Recipes 

try taking the beer glass image and upping the transparency so it incorporates some of the wood grain and wood texture, plus it will help blend it to make it look like it was painted on some time ago

Primary: Oktoberfast
Secondary: Caramel Coffee Stout
On Deck: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cinnamon Chocolate Stout, Ó Flannagáin Standard, Red Dragon IPA

Quick Reply