The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Name change, and the new logo that corresponds!

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
The horizontal-oriented logo 19 51.35%
The vertically-oriented oval logo 18 48.65%
I hate 'em, but I'm attaching something I like better! 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Name change, and the new logo that corresponds!

OK, so it's been rough being "Damn Your Eyes Brewing Co."... Mostly because all the puns I try to devise for the names of my beers just wind up forced and convoluted.... But even worse, because I never managed to get my ideas into real art as far as my logo is concerned.

I kept thinkin' about it. And I thought some more. And as a result of a number of wacky life changes that have taken place in the past 3 months, and will continue to take place for a while........... I've decided (tentatively!!!) to rename...... to....

FUNTOWN BREWING CO.

Why Funtown? Well that's a long story. But in short, a bunch of my friends started a nerdy commune named Funtown, but then a bunch of drama went down and we reclaimed the title of Funtown from the mutinous ex-Mayor. I am now the Mayor of Funtown, it is my little haven of fun, and I brew my beer for my constituents. Fun, eh?

So. This brings me to logos.

So far I've whipped up two. I'm still thinking, these are not final fo' sho', but I already know which I like better.

I want you all's feedback too! Tell me what you like, don't like, etc.

The only "criteria" I have is that whatever logo I produce, I want to use it as-is on every bottle label I make. Similar to how the Samuel Adams logo never changes, no matter what variety of beer it is, or what color the label's background or art is, the Samuel Adams icon is always instantly recognizable, thus I want my logo instantly recognizable too. (A number of you have done it this way too, olllllo, yuri_rage, RoaringBrewer, Brewtopia, etc.)

Here they are:

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

IF I have to pick just one, I say the vertical...BUT
I would be tempted to use the horizontal one as a bottom label in addition to whatever label you design for a specific beer....like I've seen on some wine bottles.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I like the vertical one also. It seems like it will fit a bottle better. I also think the font you used works great with the new name. Your guy looks like a Canadian from South Park, with their beady little eyes and flapping heads

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by c.n.budz; 05-11-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Wrathbone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like the horizontal one. I also think they're hilarious.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

The dude drawing is done by my friend Shae, one of the co-founders of Funtown (and 100% less mutinous than the ex-mayor).

I don't know if I explained it right, so I want to clarify with a picture. I don't mean that I want to use the logo AS my labels, I instead mean that I want to use the logo ON my labels. Here's an example:

This is why I think the oval logo will be much harder to incorporate, whereas the horizontal logo seems much easier to "work into" any design I come up with.

Thoughts?

(Like the sample? Took 10 minutes.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Now I get it... If that's what you're trying to do, I'd go with the horizontal one, much easier to fit on the label. I definitely like your money back guarantee

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso View Post

This is why I think the oval logo will be much harder to incorporate, whereas the horizontal logo seems much easier to "work into" any design I come up with.

Thoughts?

(Like the sample? Took 10 minutes.
I Like it!!!

I think the horizontal works great...But I'd like to see an example like this but with the oval one to compare....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

OK, I'm back from Brunch, here are some more examples. Please note:

- Background images are blatantly jacked from Google Image Search, I'm just trying to find pieces that are similar to what I want to use in the future, these are NOT meant to be the "final product" because I try (really really hard!) to get properly licensed images when I can!

I'm reposting the 1st example to help keep context.

What I'm looking for is similar to what Great Divide Brewery does - No matter what color the label is, it always looks like a Great Divide label. (Like This!) I want mine to always look like a Funtown Brewing label.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

The more I stare at these, I start to envision a different approach : Perhaps the oval will always go on the Front of the label, and the rectangle (more visible text) will always go above the "back panel" where I talk about the beer. Eh? EH?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Well that helped me make a decision...The rectangle is the best...It compliments the amazing labels....You could always use the oval on a neck label.

one thing though on the rectangle the "proudly concoted in Lincoln, Ne is un readable at that size...you should either make in bigger, or get rid of it in the rectangle and put in on the label.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply