Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > My Logo completed / Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
k-man-do
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Logo completed / Need help

So here it goes. Breeding Bull comes is the meaning of my last name (am I so lucky) On the label of the bottle will be the type of beer it is.

Anyway I drew up my logo below and would like to some how convert it to a file that does not look hand drawn. I have spent a lot of time in Photoshop and well my skills are not that good. Does anyone have any ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
zccef
Recipes 

illustrator would be the way to go turn it in to a vector image by tracing it manually. if you have access to one of the newer versions there is a trace function that will do it for you, which would help as it sounds like you dont have much experience with adobe products.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Bull Breader... well my first name means Lover of Horses... Ugggh I wouldn't want to see that label!

Yes illustrator would be the way to build this image. Simply open this file in Ill./paste it into Ill. onto the bottom layer. Then proceed building the various elements onto different layers. This will allow easier image manipulation.

Another suggestion is to put this hand-drawn image through Vector Magic. There's a free trial of like 3 uses. This will turn it into vector art which you can then manipulate in Ill. or even Pshop.

Hope that helps,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Kronin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i think the hand drawn look is fantastic, to be honest
<edit> where did you find a model photo of my abs for that drawing you made????!

Keg conditioning:
Drinking: Edworts Apfelwein, FrostHammer Ale

Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's just a couple of renderings. I can add color or something if you tell me what colors you want. It'll make a sweet logo man.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #6
k-man-do
Recipes 

Thanks brokenanchor they look great. If you don't mind throwing some color on it that would be much appreciated. I was thinking the bottle a darker brown, the bull a lighter brown, and I am not sure about the actual label of the bottle or banners.

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Irish Stout

Up Next - Nut Brown

Kegged - German Pils
Bottled and Drinking - ESB

"All I really want is to be able brew a decent brew, I am not looking for perfection but I will be pissed if it doesn't come out good."

Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
CenCalWorthog
Recipes 

I dig it.

What is the B "3" (or squared) for? for on the bottle neck?

Vectormagic will bust that baby out real nice.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
USFbulls
Recipes 

B^3 = Breeding Bull Brewery

Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
sundaybrewingco
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Me likes the logo

Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
kunstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Warning: response was written by Art nerd - you have been warned

I like the feel of the labe, it reminds me of a homegrown brewery - it feels like it could be a brew pub in my neighborhood that all the peole go to who would never be caught drinking a BMC but at the same time don't drink obscure belgians JUST BECAUSE they are not BMC (I like Belgian beer, just not people who drink it as a status symbol) ANYWHO I digress:

It feels homegrown, not sure if that is bad, or good, or really matter at all.

part of the perspective could be worked on, but again I'm just an art nerd - the hand and the bottle are just floating there, and are not anchored to the Bull's Body, it may not seem like that big a deal but if you think about how the Bull's body is positioned, some of the arm on the side would be showing (mostly on the veiwers left side of the hand).

also I think it would be interesting if there was a picture within the picture. You have this extremly present beer bottle in the viewers attention, but what about what is on the bottle...there is nothing. Something that peev'es me is when people do that - no offence just a slight OCD. but if your putting a bottle in the viewers face, why not make it worth it. Rahter than us trying to look at whats behind the bottle (the bull and words) why not put this label on the label on the bottle sort of like when you go to the store to try something on and the mirrors reflect each other and you have yourself with a picture of yourself within a picture of your self...that sort of thing, I think you could get away with just shrinking and copy pasting (and rotating to the correct angle of the bottle of course) and it would look so much more thought out (it would look like it has a purpose other than to block the viewers viewpoint) plus the bull should be drinking his own beer right?

I would clean up the lines and loose the hand-drawn look, unless your going to go overboard with the hand-drawn look which (even in commerical uses, is hit or miss - be aware of how it looks) People have posted on here some links to free software to take files and smooth them out...its out there (I use illustrator and just make it smooth in the first place, but I also have many years experience creating curved lines that don't look drawn)

Lastly this may be WAY out of reach, but have you thought of etching it in to the bottles. I saw on the BYO label contest months ago (saw it on the website) a label that was etched into the bottle - it wasn't a label but rather a photo and some text...not sure how to do it, but I do know it can be done - I doubt sandblasting would work, but I'm not the one to tell you how to do that ask around there are people out there that have much more experience in that sort of stuff than me. If you do this, I would stick to a lighter color maybe etch it in and then wipe ink into the grooves and buff the surface like an old etching plate but how to etch the glass I do not know. and then just do outlines I think that would look stellar.

I hope I didn't offend you, I'm just a artist/designer by trade and you asked for my thoughts so I shared...just my .02

cheers

Quick Reply