Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Laser-engraved caps
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #41
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton
Ah, the laser!

I have always wanted to be able to say that!

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #42
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
I have always wanted to be able to say that!
The machine was hard to fix, but fixing the shark whose head the laser is attached to was even harder.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #43
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As for the price, I'll pay whatever (within reason) you want to charge. I don't plan on using these on all my beers, just any I plan to sample out. Probably 12 bottles out of each 2-case batch...

A few hundred caps would last me a while...

Let me know when its up and running...

Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #44
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
I'm thinking the first thing to do is start doing large runs of "easy" cap designs. Things like "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Birthday". You could sell those all day long. Also, things like "Barleywine" and "High Gravity"- things for beers that will age for a long time. That way people get the most use out of their caps, ya know? They get to look at them purty things for a long time before cracking them open.

I would easily pay $5 for a batchload of caps (about 50... so about a dime a piece), but I'm not sure that I'd be willing to pay shipping to ONLY by the caps. In otherwords, I'd be far more inclined to buy these caps from a HBS (internet or local) than from a third party- no offense to you, I'm just saying shipping could be a deal breaker just for this item, but if I was already buying other stuff, I could see throwing these in.

As for truly custom orders, one off batches, I would love that! Would gladly pay about twice as much for a truly custom cap in low quantities. The shipping issue still applies though...

Makes a good point about the shipping. Perhaps a good idea would be to team up with a homebrew site or lhbs store. Maybe get them to take the orders supply the caps and they pay you for the engraving and charge the customer extra for the engraved caps. That way you shipping wouldn't be a deal breaker because you could purchase them with other items. I imagine using a middle man would have to drive the cost up a little bit, but if it could stay within the 10 cents per cap range I think people would still buy them for certain beers but not all. Which is probably what they would be anyway more of a novelty thing than something to use for each and every batch.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #45
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This thread brings up a point about how to distinguish different brews. My method is buying overrun caps and using a different overrun for each brew. sometimes this method doesn't work because I brew too many different styles and don't have enough different caps, but it works most of the time. Most of the time by the ones with the same cap condition the old ones with that cap are already gone.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #46
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
The machine was hard to fix, but fixing the shark whose head the laser is attached to was even harder.

Alright Aryton! Enough of this nonsense. All I ask for is Frikkin sharks with laser beams attached to their heads. Is that so much to ask of you?

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #47
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpooh
This thread brings up a point about how to distinguish different brews. My method is buying overrun caps and using a different overrun for each brew. sometimes this method doesn't work because I brew too many different styles and don't have enough different caps, but it works most of the time. Most of the time by the ones with the same cap condition the old ones with that cap are already gone.
I use a sharpie on blank caps. O-Oatmeal Stout, H- House, etc....

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #48
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use those metallic RoseArt markers that are like sharpies only metallic. In my scrawly, scribbly handwriting, I spell out the name of each beer- "ESB" or "Apfelwein". The markers stay on pretty well, but will rinse off with a rag in some starsan. And it looks "sorta" pretty, imho.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #49
kvh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpooh
http://www.homebrewheaven.com/ stocks about 8 different colored caps, which I currently use to distinguish my different brews. I bought a pound of each a year ago (except gold and stars/stripes, which I think everyone already uses). I have the same problem of still drinking the old ones when that color comes back around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
Cool idea. Would this work on glass, as in drinking glasses or growlers?
You can purchase a glass etching kit from most craft stores, and certainly online. The disadvantage being that you need a stencil to maks off your image that you want to stencil. If you have patience, an exacto knife, and some packing tape or sticky shelf liner, it's possible though.

*EDIT* Looks like http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/ has a system which lets you make exact stencil copies of your digital print-outs - if you have access to a UV exposing unit. As it so happens, I do. Sunlight should work if you adjusted your exposure time.
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Last edited by kvh; 03-10-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #50
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
We have a laser etching machine where I work, and they're always looking for new things to try to "burn." I thought bottle caps would be a good idea:

I can crank out a batch's worth in about five minutes.
I don't like you...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Closed Thread

Quick Reply