Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Laser-engraved caps
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #21
JnJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 835
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Nice work.

__________________

Töpperwein Brewery

JnJ is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #22
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ayrton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 809
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
Ayrton, sweet job on the bottle caps. It adds a touch of professionalism to the standard blank, brown bottles. I'll chime in with the others in offering to purchase some as well.
I think I better address this: my boss is very interested in just such a venture. If it were my machine, I'd be more than happy to do a bunch for everyone, but I don't want to get in any trouble for it. As soon as this thing is a go - and I'm sure it will be soon - I'll let you guys know. I *did* agree to do some HBT caps for TxBrew, but that's because I feel I owe it to the site.

Incidentally, what would people be willing to pay for them? If you saw these things online somewhere, what price would make you say, "Damn, I've got to have those!"? Feel free to be cheap bastards, because I know I am.
__________________
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary 1: None
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!
ayrton is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #23
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,198
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton
I think I better address this: my boss is very interested in just such a venture. If it were my machine, I'd be more than happy to do a bunch for everyone, but I don't want to get in any trouble for it. As soon as this thing is a go - and I'm sure it will be soon - I'll let you guys know. I *did* agree to do some HBT caps for TxBrew, but that's because I feel I owe it to the site.

Incidentally, what would people be willing to pay for them? If you saw these things online somewhere, what price would make you say, "Damn, I've got to have those!"? Feel free to be cheap bastards, because I know I am.

Well, I think the best way to approach a pricing structure is to figure out what you guys could get them per piece in bulk, how long it takes to run a standard order (probably 4 cases worth...which I recall you said 48 is about 5 minutes). The other factor is the machining cost which I am guessing is on the expensive side? What do you normally charge per hour when you are etching something else? Once you have those 3 components in place, post the numbers and get some feedback.

My $0.02 is that there is definitely a market, the pricing is key though.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 02-07-2007 at 11:49 AM.
zoebisch01 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #24
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ayrton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 809
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Well, I think the best way to approach a pricing structure is to figure out what you guys could get them per piece in bulk, how long it takes to run a standard order (probably 4 cases worth...which I recall you said 48 is about 5 minutes). The other factor is the machining cost which I am guessing is on the expensive side? What do you normally charge per hour when you are etching something else? Once you have those 3 components in place, post the numbers and get some feedback.

My $0.02 is that there is definitely a market, the pricing is key though.
Exactly my thoughts. They don't want to buy the caps from a LHBS; they'd have to get them straight from the manufacturer. The only issue is finding time for etching all of these miscellaneous items when they've got an assload of tools to mark every day (Boeing alone does about $2M a year with us). I imagine they'd want a minumum order. I'll let you know what they put together.
__________________
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary 1: None
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!
ayrton is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #25
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Adams, MA
Posts: 20,509
Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default

As cool as they are, I couldn't see spending more than a couple bucks a batch - maybe $4 or $5 (for a batch - maybe a dime per cap) if they were REALLY cool and it was a special batch.

__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.
the_bird is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #26
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RoaringBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 1,859
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I'd definitely purchase some of these also and I don't even need to pay shipping (w00t)...

I've been marking my caps with a H stamp of various colors, but the stamp rarely comes out looking as nicely as laser etched caps (hard to believe huh?! )

Anyway, now that I have my brewery name locked down (Roaring Bull Brewing Co. in honor of the Millersburg Ferry and 'small town perfection' - ayrton will understand this) and a standard 'brand' label, I'd be willing to purchase a bunch of these to complete the package...

Let me know what the boss says.

__________________
RoaringBrewer is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #27
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ayrton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 809
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
I'd definitely purchase some of these also and I don't even need to pay shipping (w00t)...

I've been marking my caps with a H stamp of various colors, but the stamp rarely comes out looking as nicely as laser etched caps (hard to believe huh?! )

Anyway, now that I have my brewery name locked down (Roaring Bull Brewing Co. in honor of the Millersburg Ferry and 'small town perfection' - ayrton will understand this) and a standard 'brand' label, I'd be willing to purchase a bunch of these to complete the package...

Let me know what the boss says.
Nice brewery name! Start a brewery and I'll go across the street and open another one called the Grey Falcon Brewing Co. Did you post your brand label?

I'll keep everyone posted regarding this. Probably won't be long...
__________________
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary 1: None
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!
ayrton is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #28
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RoaringBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 1,859
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Hah. I can never remember the name of the other boat. That's awesome.

If Millersburg could support two breweries, I'd say lets go for it... Heaven knows though, this town bleeds Budweiser or Miller Lite (or even Keystone Light at times!), so I'm not too sure how successful we'd be...

Anyway, here is the first label on the first batch of 07... I plan to just switch up the color scheme and beer name/side description for each batch. I'd like to get a little ferry-boat logo going on somewhere, but not sure where to incorporate it. Heck, can you etch ferry boats onto caps?!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20642

__________________
RoaringBrewer is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #29
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,291
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

These caps are awesome. I'd definately be interested in some. Even if you just did some generic ones like the Homebrewtalk Cap or some random designs. That would be one way to keep the price down a bit. Then if you had some time for special orders you could do that as well.

__________________

Make Beer, Not War.

McKBrew is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #30
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ayrton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 809
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
If Millersburg could support two breweries, I'd say lets go for it... Heaven knows though, this town bleeds Budweiser or Miller Lite (or even Keystone Light at times!), so I'm not too sure how successful we'd be...
Ugh, tell me about it. They keep hinting around here that I really should try it, but I don't plan to be here by this time in six months, and I like software development too much to start brewing for a living...makes a fun hobby though.

SWEET labels! They have a level of sophistication about them. Very elegant. Nice work!
__________________
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary 1: None
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!
ayrton is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laser-engraved glassware - it's a schooner nostalgia Home Brewing Photo Forum 25 08-25-2010 12:24 AM
Laser-engraved Caps, Part 2 ayrton Label Display & Discussion 3 09-23-2009 12:39 AM
For Sale - WTB: Engraved Growler Natron008 For Sale 10 08-17-2009 08:10 PM
Laser Engraved Crown Caps CustomCrownCaps Label Display & Discussion 23 04-15-2009 01:14 PM
laser marking bottle caps tranceamerica DIY Projects 12 04-22-2008 06:37 PM