Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Label water proofing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Jezza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Label water proofing ?

Hi everyone. Joined a few days ago but had trouble making a post. ( computer illiterate ) ,,, or maybe my brew is fermenting to close to the monitor,,, Anyway Ronjer helped me out and here I am.
I've made about four brews in the past, wasn't too bad , about a year and a half ago was my last attempt. My lovely lady complained I was spending too much money on grog and went out a few days ago and bought a second brew kit. Gotta be a classic insperational kick in the *#%. Anyway now I've got two brews going at once and back into it.
My problem is, that I made a number of labels in Adobe photo shop and printed them out on the computer. I sprayed them with a craft waterproofing spray, about four coats both sides, it didn't work as well as I expected, expensive too.
Does anyone know what I can do to waterproof A4 printing paper using an ink jet printer ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Laser printer.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I use a quick drying clear polyurethane spray intended for finishing wood. It's not perfect, and it won't hold up to submersion, but it keeps the labels from running if they get a little damp.

Otherwise...what Squirrels said.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Jezza
Recipes 

Thanks, Damn Squirrels, and thanks Yuri Rage.
Great help. Might try the wood spray. Haven't got a laser printer,,,,,yet, working on it. Seen somewhere on the post someone talking about hair spray. I'll check it out and see which one is best.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Hair Spray.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Jezza
Recipes 

Tried the hairspray on my lables tonight. Schwarzkopf , taft. Long lasting holds in all conditions. STYLING LACQUER. I only gave them one coat, but a good soaking, both sides. Does anyone think this will work? Half a can on only six lables. It didn't leave them with any gloss, and they don't feel like they're water proofed , but I guess time will tell. Any further advice would be greatly excepted. Still can't afford a laser printer.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
billpa

Recipes 

Has anyone tried laminating sheets? Just curious. You would have to leave a good 1/8 to 1/4" overhang on the front of the label. A little spray adhesive on the back of the label (unlaminated) would keep it in place so the rigidness of the laminated side wouldnt pull it off the bottle.

I know others have used bumper sticker stock ie vinyl stickers. You might even be able to order custom ones from cafe press and make your design tiled 3 or 4 times across one bumper sticker. Then just cut them to make separate labels. Would still probably cost around 75 cents to 1 dollar per label and they might be a smidge on the small side.

Conditioning:
Drinking: Apfelwein, ESB, Cream Ale, Mocktoberfest Ale

Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza
Tried the hairspray on my lables tonight. Schwarzkopf , taft. Long lasting holds in all conditions. STYLING LACQUER. I only gave them one coat, but a good soaking, both sides. Does anyone think this will work? Half a can on only six lables. It didn't leave them with any gloss, and they don't feel like they're water proofed , but I guess time will tell. Any further advice would be greatly excepted. Still can't afford a laser printer.
No idea if it will work or not (I keg most of my brews) but at half a can of hair spray for every 6 labels, that laser printer's gonna start looking like a pretty good deal

Quick Reply