Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Label Removal Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #41
avaserfi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
I've got my entire collection of coke bottles soaking in a muriatic acid solution right now. I'll be honest, I was kind of scared of the stuff. I was worried about what to soak them in, terrified when I poured the acid into the water (NOT THE WATER INTO THE ACID) because it smoked a little...It's scary stuff but I hope it works. It's been about 12 hours, I"m going to check on them.
Yeah, the stuff isn't pleasant.

As far as time goes, if it will work the paint will probably come of in 15 minutes or so. I have run into a few things the acid won't cut though. Some glassware I was trying to delable and a 7 year old Arrogant Bastard bottle, new ones work no problem.

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #42
barman84
Recipes 

I soak mine in hot water with about a cup of bleach. The hardest ones are Mexican beers with foil though just scrup away. Also a dremel and dust wheel does a great job of getting off the left over glue.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #43
Heineken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Currently at walmart and trying to find oxyclean. Is it Oxiclean that is in the laundry detergent section? It has a 'I' instaed of a 'y'. I also see a oxydeep but is spray liauid. Just want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #44
Lazybrew
Recipes 

I soak my bottles in weak bleach solution and then run them through the dishwasher (no detergent) to sanitize. When they come out of the dishwasher the labels (Sierra Nevada) just come right off with little or no residue left behind.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #45
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Worst for me have been Sam Adams Light. They don't want to come off at all. Best have been the German beers. Erdinger and Paulaner are my 2 most popular. Also, the beer store near me has the 1L Erdinger bottles. Those are really nice. Oh and I've had some bottles (can't remember what the brand was) where the label was made of some sort of really thin plastic. These came off super easy because the glue hadn't soaked into the label at all like a paper label.

I've done the hot water and oxyclean. It works.

If you want a method with 0 chemicals and have a decent set of rubber coated tongs, you can just boil your bottles. I've done this and the easy labels just come off and float to the top.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #46
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've tried hot water, hot water w/ bleach, and hot water w/ soapy water but by FAR the easiest has been ammonia. Just filled the sink w/ HOT water and ammonia and let the bottles sit until the water had cooled to warm and most came right off. Don't let the water get cold though, it seems to re-stick the labels more than ever.

Hardest to remove, Amstel Light. Brutal. The Atlanta Brewing Company bottles are tough too.

Oh and the easiest way to get the remaining glue off is Goof Off, just have to wash the bottle w/ soapy water afterwards. Tried to use the scrubby side of a sponge and the glue just gummed it up after about 12 bottles.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #47
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anybody ever tried a wire brush or wheel on grinder or drill?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #48
ctbrewer227
Recipes 

5 gallon pail filled with HOT water and some baking soda soaked for a few hours does an amazing job!!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #49
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Hello, I'm SWMBO... I try to help my hubby with his brewing, and usually I am cleaning the labels off bottles... Negra Modelo bottles (the foil on top) have been the hardest for me so far. I'm a bit leery about using Oxiclean (assuming it's the laundry detergent I am thinking of) since that's not exactly "food safe" in my opinion. Soaking in hot water didn't work, and neither did a stainless steel brillo pad. And no one ever wrote how much soda and water to use...

BUT... Combine these, and (voila!) the foil, labels, and glue wipe right off!

I did it in the kitchen sink, about 2 gallons HOT water (as hot as the tap would go, then I just wore dish gloves to help handle the heat), and maybe 3-4 Tbsp. of baking soda. I made sure all the soda was dissolved, and I noticed it actually gave the water a "slimy" feel... Let the bottles sit about 45 seconds, then take the brillo pad to it. The labels & glue wipe off with a light touch. The foil takes a little bit of rubbing, but it's not at all hard to get off. After the baking soda treatment, a little dish soap to remove any reside, and the bottles look like they never had labels on them!

Whoever thought of using baking soda, here's a beer salute to you!! You saved me a lot of time and frustration cleaning labels off bottles!!

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #50
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeerpig View Post
I'm a bit leery about using Oxiclean (assuming it's the laundry detergent I am thinking of) since that's not exactly "food safe" in my opinion.
What's not "food safe" about oxiclean? It's a standard oxygenated cleanser isn't it? From what I understand this type of cleaner is very commonly used to clean food prep items in industrial settings.

Quick Reply