Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Label Removal Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #241
GMJager
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hot water, and dish soap in the bathtub. Fill the tub enough to cover the bottles laying down. Fill the bottles with hot water (so they dont float), come back in an hour, labels peel right off, take a finger nale scrubber to the adhesive, comes right off (unless its a Breckinridge bottle... they're adhesive is a b**** to get off).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #242
rbkohn
Recipes 

Like many have said I fill the bottles with hot tap water and then the sink they are in. I wait about 30 minutes and then use a plastic food scraper and a scotch brite green scour pad to remove the label and then the glue.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #243
ThorGodOfThunder
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

I've always had trouble with taking labels off of Rogue bottles. I don't know what they use, but I've soaked the bottles for two days and the label still stuck. I ended up scraping as much as I could with a putty knife, then taking the adhesive off with alcohol. I would have used acetone, but I didn't have any handy.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #244
lzotarelli
Recipes 

I always soak bottles in hot water with baking soda. Works very well

Old 08-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #245
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 723

I have good luck with Goose Island and Bell's bottles. 5-10 minutes soaking in warm water and the label comes right off, and a little scrub with a sponge takes off the remaining adhesive.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #246
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Sun cleaner (Oxiclean knock-off) from Wally World. Dissolve a tablespoon in a couple gallons of water in a bucket and soak the bottles overnight. Next morning, most of the labels will have fallen off. A quick rinse and drip-dry on a bottle tree and they are ready to go.

I have found that most European bottles will lose their labels much faster. It's funny how a few U.S. brewers see the need to adhere the damn things with industrial-strength adhesive. Maybe they don't want them coming off when the bottles are in a cooler full of ice.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #247
slatts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

soak the bottles in the kitchen sink in hot soapy water (i just use whatever dish soap i have handy) Let the bottles soak for the time that it takes me to leisurely enjoy two beers. Then i go back and peel the labels. Any residue left over I go after with a metal dish scrubby - the thing is a champ. Takes about 30 seconds of work per bottle.

Bells and New Glarus are the only bottles I save because they both remove pretty easily.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #248
itsratso
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 26

i also use the hot water soak for an hour or so with a little dishwasher liquid. they peel mostly off, then i use a brillo/SOS steel wool pad for the glue. easy peasy. every once in a while you will run into a brand that just doesn't want to come off easy, i toss those and try the next brand 6 pack.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #249
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Started reading this thread... got through the first couple of pages... couldn't read all of them.

Removing lables is extremely easy if you have a dish washer. Put the bottles in the dishwasher and run it. When the cycle completes and the drying phase begins, take the bottles out and simply remove any labels that are still on the bottles. You may need to run water over the bottle and rub the excess glue from it, but the labels absolutely do come off this way. I've been doing it for 10 years.

The only labels that won't come off this way are the plastic labels like Heineken.

You'll probably need to clean some of the labels out of the dish washer afterward though. Has never been an issue for me.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #250
neild5
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Bells bottles need a quick soak in hot water. Two Brothers bottles go directly in to the recycle bin. They use a laminated label that takes adhiesive remover to clean the glass. After taking a tour of their brewery I understand why, they label the bottles first then sanitize and fill. The paper labels must be glued on after the bottles are filled.

Quick Reply