Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Label Removal Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #231
Spicemon1972
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeerpig

I did it in the kitchen sink, about 2 gallons HOT water (as hot as the tap would go, then I just wore dish gloves to help handle the heat), and maybe 3-4 Tbsp. of baking soda. I made sure all the soda was dissolved, and I noticed it actually gave the water a "slimy" feel... Let the bottles sit about 45 seconds, then take the brillo pad to it. The labels & glue wipe off with a light touch. The foil takes a little bit of rubbing, but it's not at all hard to get off. After the baking soda treatment, a little dish soap to remove any reside, and the bottles look like they never had labels on them!
I just used this method with a slight tweak and had excellent results with Rogue and Breckinridge bottles - after the initial soak, I peeled the labels off and put the bottles back in the hot baking soda water for a minute or two. This loosened any remaining glue and I washed them with a blue scotch brite scrub pad and some dish soap. 12 bottles clean in 20 minutes, not too shabby!
Thanks newbeerpig!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #232
bobeer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I fill the sink with hotish water; just hot enough not to burn my hands. Then I break out an oxyclean brillo pad and squeeze it a few times in the hot water then add in 6-10 bottles. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Then I grab my handy-handy 2 inch paint scraper and scrape off the label and use the brillo pad to get off any remaining glue or parts of the label. Then I toss the cleaned bottle back into the hot oxyclean water and grab the next one. After all the bottle are delabeled I fill them all up with the oxyclean water, shake them a bunch and rinse them out/off and dry them.
I find any Sierra bottles are have a lot of glue on them which can get messy. I try to stick with the bottles that have a recycled paper-like feel to the labels. Lagunitas come off with ease and I really dig their beers so I have used a lot of their bottles. I also like the shorter bottles because they fit in the crisper drawers in the fridge standing up.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again."
-Groucho Marx

I'm couch surfing in the middle of moving. Will brew soon!
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
Primary: Empty
On Deck: Ava ale, Red Ryes ale, Priceless Pup Brown,

Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #233
Herky21

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Here are some good reference links to add to this thread:

Hope that helps

Also, in my personal experience, New Belgium bottles are easiest to delabel - no OxyClean needed, the labels literally fall off in hot water after about 3 minutes. Soak, slide, drain, dry. It's faster than a cheetah chasing a hare covered in delicious bacon.
I'd second the New belgium bottles being easy. Also, Boulevard Smokestack series bottles and Samuel Smith bottles are extremely easy to work with. I generally use bleach and water, soaking any bottles.

I haven't found anything to get rid of the glue under laminated labels though. Bleach certainly doesn't help, nor does a brillo pad. Always end up throwing those away.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #234
Serialk1llr
Recipes 

I'll add my two cents here.

Bottles with lables that fall off - Souther Tier (anything in 12oz) and Bells. I just look at them crossways and they fall off! Sam Adams Boston Lager has been easy too.
Bottles with glue held on by rivits and space tar: Fort Collins Brewery. Judas Priest those were on there!!!

My method. Hot water soak for 20 min and a butter knife gets the easy to mid-range stuff. For REALLY hard to clean bottles, I boil water and let the bottles set in there with a oxyclean bath. To be honest, I am avoiding those beers where I cannot easily recycle their bottles for home brew.

-I drink therefore I am.

Beer #1: Graham Cracker Porter - Epic...failure.
Beer #2: Chocolate Oatmeal Porter - Bottled. Tastes is amazing!
Beer #3: No-boil Munton's Gold IPA - I pray the dry hop helps it
Beer #4: Lambic - on deck

Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #235
mors
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I guess I'm lazier than you guys... I let bottles build up until I have 100 or so... Then fill a big tote with hot oxyclean water. Submerge all the bottles... come back 2-3 days later and all the labels have fallen off... the ones that don't... are not worth my time.. I throw those bottles out. So I vote for hot oxyclean + a sponge with a scrubby on one side for any glue residue that might remain (usually there isn't).

Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #236
keatz85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The hottest water ever and dish soap (didn't measure, probably close to 2 TBSP) in the bath tub (did 50 at once) for 15-30 minutes. I'm sure longer would be better and even draining the water after it cools and re-filling with scalding hat water again. 312 were the easiest, as in barely any effort. Sam Adams are pretty easy. Unfortunately I don't remember the PIA brands (I'm pretty sure Flying Dog sucked) but I just took a butter knife to them and it wasn't too bad. Also, dish soap may worry people about foaming, I use the dishwasher w/ no soap to clean/rinse the bottles w/ the heat cycle to sanitize. No foam issues or soap taste.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #237
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors View Post
I guess I'm lazier than you guys... I let bottles build up until I have 100 or so... Then fill a big tote with hot oxyclean water. Submerge all the bottles... come back 2-3 days later and all the labels have fallen off... the ones that don't... are not worth my time.. I throw those bottles out. So I vote for hot oxyclean + a sponge with a scrubby on one side for any glue residue that might remain (usually there isn't).
This is me. I even get lazy and let them soak for as much as 5-6 days, and when I do all the labels come off easy from every brand of bottle I put in there. I do 30 at a time, and I do it constantly. This way I'm always ahead on bottles. Not to mention I have about 500 that are already de-labeled that cycle regularly.

sailtheargo Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #238
keatz85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors View Post
Definitely doing this!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #239
Fishtank
Recipes 

Default This works ...

I use Killian's bottles (front label only, no labels on the neck).

I soak them in hot water for about 10 minutes.

Get as much of the label off as possible (most come off in one tear).

Spray the remaining glue area with Windex (I use the cheap glass cleaner from Target - works the same).

Let the bottles sit for another 5 minutes or so.

Adhesive comes right off with a light scrub brush.

The glass cleaner actually cuts the adhesive.

Cheers!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #240
citingzero
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Aren't killians bottles screw top??

I use an oxiclean soak for a few hours. Sierra Nevada float within an hour. Others take a little longer but come off with very little effort (of course there are some local brews that just get throw away because they don't come off... ...ever)

Quick Reply