Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Label adhesives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Label adhesives

I'm was thinking I might use alternative paper sources (handmade paper, recycled paper items, decorative papers) for 'gift bottles'. Given that I won't be using pre-gummed labels, anyone have experience with different kinds of adhesives to use.

Naturally I'd want the label to stay in place even when refrigerated and at least do a reasonable job of staying in place if the bottle sweats but I'd rather not have to use a blow torch to get the labels off again as I reuse them.

A commercially available spray adhesive would be terrific, if such a thing existed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glue sticks seem to work pretty good, I'm just getting started brewing, I have a bunch bottled and labled but I can't tell you how well it will hold up yet.

Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
JillC25

Recipes 

Craft stores have a sticker maker in the scrap book section. It basically puts a sticker backing on anything you want. It is what I plan to use when I finally get around to making my labels. the only thing i have to figure out is getting some kind of water resistant spray or coating for the labels themselves. the sticker makers is called create a sticker and it comes in different sizes. i have the 500 model, which makes labels up to 5" wide and comes in rolls of 18 ft. the web site is www.xyron.com

Primary:
Secondary:

Bottled: Mexican "Lite" Cervesa, Blueberry Weizen, Pumpkin Ale, Clone-Harpoon 1991 Winter Warmer, Quaker Oatmeal Stout, Cranberry Zinger
Up Next: Hook & Ladder Red Ale

Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've heard of people using (a) milk and (b) flour-n-water for adhesives. I don't know how well they stand up to bottle sweat, but there's a couple of house-hold solutions for you.

Also, I'm *sure* there has to be some sort of spray-on adhesive on the market. Seems to useful to NOT exist. Check hardware and crafts stores.

-walker

Old 10-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

hmmm....

I wonder if plain old Elmer's Glue would work? Just dilute it with some water or something and put it into a spray bottle (be sure to clean it well immediately after using it!)

Or, just water it down and brush it on the labels.

-walker

Old 10-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Milk will work but I don't know how well it will stick once its completely dry, add to that the problem of getting your lables sloppy wet. Flour and water paste doesn't stick to anything smooth once it dries. For a good spray on adhiesive, 3M 77 spray is about the best but it can be a bear to remove.

Now for setting the printer inks, a few light coats of ordinary hairspray works great for that purpose, most swmbo's have at least one can.

Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
Also, I'm *sure* there has to be some sort of spray-on adhesive on the market. Seems to useful to NOT exist. Check hardware and crafts stores.
Absolutely. There are all sorts of adhesives used for mounting art you should be able to get at a Michael's/Joanne's/AC Moore type store with varying degrees of adhesiveness.

I have a couple of spray adhesives I use for affixing foam to kayaks that I get at Home Depot: 3M Spray Adhesive 77 and 90. I think the 77 would probably affix the label a bit more firmly than most people prefer, and I know the 90 would (if it even adheres to paper).

Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
baja_bug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
I'm was thinking I might use alternative paper sources (handmade paper, recycled paper items, decorative papers) for 'gift bottles'. Given that I won't be using pre-gummed labels, anyone have experience with different kinds of adhesives to use.

Naturally I'd want the label to stay in place even when refrigerated and at least do a reasonable job of staying in place if the bottle sweats but I'd rather not have to use a blow torch to get the labels off again as I reuse them.

A commercially available spray adhesive would be terrific, if such a thing existed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?

there is a special tape that picture framers use called ATG adheasive tape glue

and thats exactly what it is. a tape that you apply around the perimeter then you peel the backing like a double stick tape but its thin and comes off glass

the bad is its kinda expensive and sometimes difficult to find a small indipendent frame shop will probabl;y sell you some if you cant find it

andrew

drinking. texas bock

bottled.munich dunkle

in carboy. wheat stout

Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
kilroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Use a Glue Stick - it stands up well, and soaks off like a dream.
As for that "glossy" look - or for some protection from water - go to your local hobby store, and get some spray on clear coat.

Just make sure that you spray it on - BEFORE - you stick it on,
Spraying it on afterwards will seal the edge of the label, and thus make it more impervious to water - making it a bear to get off.

If you print the whole sheet, then give it a few coats , let it dry, then cut to size, and glue.

Kilroy

Primary:
Nothing - Out of room - have to bottle something before I can fit more on the aging shelf.

Secondary:
Lost count, too many damn carboys

Old 11-02-2005, 03:33 AM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What about rubber cement? Youd think that would be water resistant and it comes off easily enough..... *shrugs*

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply