Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Keeping up with the beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
RedGuitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default Keeping up with the beer

So, while driving into work this morning, I suddenly realized that I have over 100 bottles of beer from 4 different recipes sitting in my beer closet. Once the excitement about this wore off, I realized that my memory will not always be perfect, and I'm going to reach a point where I have a hard time keeping up with what is what. As a new brewer, my initial idea was to use a different color bottle cap for different styles. The more I thought about it, the less I think that will work, as my LHBS only has about 8 different colors of caps. So, I started writing the bottling dates on the caps after I bottle them. But again, memory. So, I'm thinking of just hanging up a clipboard in my beer closet with the details of what's what. I'm wondering, though, if anyone has any other suggestions for how they keep up with that beers they have and from when. I don't want to start labeling my beer yet, as that would take extra money from my extremely fixed income that would better be used at buying brewing supplies. So, how do y'all do it?

"I sit here and drink my good Wittenberg Beer, and the Kingdom of God comes all by itself." -Martin Luther

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
tekknoschtev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For me, labeling makes little sense as we reuse the bottles several times and I'd hate to make a nice label just to scrape it off when we changed beers. If I ever get into a consistent rotation of beers I brew, this may make more sense.

For me, I write the style's initials on the cap, along with the date if we brewed multiples of that style on different dates. For example, my friend brewed an Irish Stout with us, and we wrote 'IS' on the cap. This works, but if we had an Imperial Stout in bottles, we'd obviously have to change things up... It also only works if we get caps with no writing. Our buddy bought a kit which came with printed caps, making it difficult to write the style/date on them. This also doesn't work well keeping ties to the recipe used.

But, we've recently moved to kegging most of our brews, so a note on the keg is usually sufficient. Once we get taps through the door, I've got plans for handles with chalk board type surfaces on the handle.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1542 Times on 1465 Posts
Likes Given: 52728

There are so many different options, it really comes down to whatever works for you.

For bottles, you can just print name and date on avery return address type mailing labels and stick them on. It's small, will come off easily and fits all the necessary information. You could also try using a dry erase marker on the bottle itself.

For kegs, I use a blue dry erase marker and it just wipes off when I clean the keg for the next batch.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 12-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I number all my batches in my composition book, so I just write the batch number on the cap. I usually split 10g batches, so lately I've been numbering with a decimal to clarify which one it is. Like 13.2 (my 13th batch and #2 of the 2 carboys, maybe one has diff yeast or dry hops etc).

I use painters tape on my fridge to label which tap is what batch, and also write the name, style, ABV & IBUs. I also want to get those chalk board tap handles.

The problem with caps is they are so small, so you really have to come up with an efficient method. I'm sure the #s will eventually all run together, but maybe I'll start making a chart as a quick reference.

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Dawgs47
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I box my bottles in old 12 pack boxes and mark each box with masking tape with type of beer and date. I have several different types of bottles so I can usually sort out which is which once I move them to the fridge.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
hiberntepaths
Recipes 

For me, each beer is a unique gift from the Almighty and deserves it's own name and label, at the least. Don't forget your beer is alive! We all want an identity, we all want to be known.

Plus, it makes remember's what's what (or who's who) much easier.
I also label the boxes I store them in.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I keep a spreadsheet of what I brew, and assign a batch number, which goes on the bottle caps. I started using BeerSmith recently, so I also put the Batch number in the recipie title. Only issue is flip tops, but I usually just have one batch of them at a time and empty all of them before using again.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a sharpie and come up with a 2 or 3 letter code for each beer and write it on the cap. Make a cheat sheet for yourself so you know what is what. Also label your boxes.

e.g., American Pale Ale = APA....

Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I haven't managed to pipline enough beer for this to be a problem. I have 3 varieties in my closet right now, 2 of which are down to less than a case.

I am working with 3 primaries right now, but 1 is filled with apfelwien, and another that just was emptied into bottles needed some extra time to age before bottling. 1-2 more primaries should put me in a much more pleasantly complicated situation.

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 12-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I do two things. I have 5 or 6 different colored milk crates. They sell them cheap around the back to school time in the fall. When I bottle them each batch gets a different color. As I grab a sixer of one of them to put in the fridge, I write a 2-3 letter discription. RA = red ale , CA= Cream ale, GA = german altbier. I usually dont have bottles from more than a few batches back.

Quick Reply