Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > An Idea for Labeling...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
ekasbury
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default An Idea for Labeling...

Hey all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I had a hair-brained idea for labeling, which I'm sure has been thought of before. Regardless, I thought I would share.

It's actually more of a beer identifying technique than a beer labeling technique - no fancy art here. I'm gonna head down to Office Supply Giant and pick up some of those sheets of colored dot stickers and dot the bottle caps and the bottle crates. I'll keep a magnetic white board on my fridge, stick the colored dots all the way down and write on what beer each color signifies. That way, at least when friends open the fridge, they'll know what they're reaching for. Plus, with the caps being disposable, there's no worry about removing the colors afterwards. I dunno, it was just a thought.

Feel free to either laud this as the best idea you've ever heard, or guffaw at the probable non-originality and sheer laziness of the concept. Either would be accepted.

-E

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ya, the only worry then is with the stickers falling off. You can even order caps in different colors or designs if you want to look into that

Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

when i bottle, i use a permanent marker to put 1-3 letters on the cap to let me know what each is.

IPA, 2PA, APA, BT (belgain tripple), BD, BG, ChS (cherry stout)... it is pretty easy, and most of the abbreviations are pretty hard to confuse.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 09-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
ekasbury
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Two even simpler and brighter ideas. Just was reading about milk as an adhesive, though, so I might abandon laziness altogether and get my Photoshop on.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Those dots will run through my printer so I just print up the label with the beer name abv ibu and bottling date. Fits easily. No need for a chart.

And yes this is much easier than putting labels on the bottle itself and then having to delabel a bottle that was a pita to delabel in the first place.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like this idea. I also use a three-letter coding system with my caps, which has worked out well in the past. The advantage of your method is it allows you to write whatever information you want to regarding the beer on the whiteboard for your friends reference. Plus, I think the whiteboard would just be a cool addition to the refrigerator, ya know?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
HawaiianHippie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We did the stickers and legend method for a while. And, while it beats not labeling, here's some of the fun we've encountered:
1. running out of the proper stickers before bottles and having a mixed batch
2. Keeping a few bottles from each batch around means the legend gets awfully long
3. Erroneously thinking you've already consumed all red-dot bottles can put a hard cider in your mouth when you were expecting a Pilsner.
4. Keeping the legend on the fridge with magnets inevitably leads to it falling off and getting lost.
5. Losing stickers gives you an opportunity to play "guess the mystery brew"

They say that forewarned is forearmed. Maybe you can now avoid those pitfalls!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The guy I bought my bottles from actually did this. For normal capping I would just use a sharpie, but these were flip tops, so being able to do it over and over again was a plus.

I think I had the best idea for labeling and just keg. Its a lot easier to keep track of that way.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianHippie View Post
3. Erroneously thinking you've already consumed all red-dot bottles can put a hard cider in your mouth when you were expecting a Pilsner.
I have beers from maybe 30 different batches in bottles in my basement. How many colors do they make?
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
badgerbrew
Recipes 

Thanks to a thread I read on this site, I use 3/4" round stickers I bought from an office supply store. You can go to Microsoft's website and download template 5472 then you can type in your description and print the labels. 24 stickers per sheet, so you only need to print two sheets for a 5-gal batch. With a small enough font there is enough room for more than initials. My labels read: Dark Wheat, 8/23/09, 5% Alc

Good luck.

Quick Reply