HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > How to make a stencil for my logo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Yunus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How to make a stencil for my logo

Ok, my logo is pretty simple. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/yunus89115/3.jpg
I'm going with that or something close to it. I want to etch/frost some pint glasses with it, to do so I need a stencil. Anyone know of an easy way to make a stencil for that? It willl just be the circle with the letters, no background clouds or anything. I have a fair amount of resources I can use, laserjet, inkjet, gerber machine sticker paper(I can use the gerber machine but I can't get that font into the machine). I just can't think of a good way to make the stencil short of an exacto knife and a bunch of careful cutting. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
Thwizzit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure how a Gerber machine works but I think you'll need to extend the letters (or shrink the circle) so that the letters touch the sides wherever possible. Otherwise, you will have floating letters or you will need two stencils. One for the circle and one for the letters and then you will have to make sure they are lined up etc.

If you can't use the Gerber I don't think it would take all that much careful cutting with such a simple label.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

check out your local hobby store for stencil material. i found a reusable one at micheal's in the glass paint section

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Yunus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwizzit View Post
I'm not sure how a Gerber machine works but I think you'll need to extend the letters (or shrink the circle) so that the letters touch the sides wherever possible. Otherwise, you will have floating letters or you will need two stencils. One for the circle and one for the letters and then you will have to make sure they are lined up etc.

If you can't use the Gerber I don't think it would take all that much careful cutting with such a simple label.
Good point! The gerber machine is basically a machine that is used to make stickers for equipment. When you vehicles with graphics on them, it is likely that a gerber machine did the cutting. But your right when you pull the sticker or in this case the reverse sticker off so you can etch the letters it would need to be separate from the circle.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Only way I can think of doing it is to laser print onto some acetate and cut it out.

Or you could go to a formed shape screen printer and have them printed, possibly with a mask or etch resist instead of ink, but I don't think that would be cheap.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Bigpete9000
Recipes 

here is how to do a simple photo etch.

Primary #1: None
Primary #2: None
Conditioning: None
Keg: Export 80
Drinking: Everything

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Or the easiest way possible:
EZScreenPrint
I've used this stuff to make t-shirts and it works flawlessly, with no weird chemicals and only a minute in bright sunlight. I tried silk-screening bottle caps, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Or the easiest way possible:
EZScreenPrint
I've used this stuff to make t-shirts and it works flawlessly, with no weird chemicals and only a minute in bright sunlight. I tried silk-screening bottle caps, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Hokie, do you know if the stencil material would hold up to glass etching cream? I've been looking for a cheap and easy stencil creation material for etching on my own glasses, and even on beer or wine bottles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

According to the product description for the "HiRes" version of the sheets they say, "PhotoEZ HiRes silk screen stencil sheets are recommended for detailed images, finer lines, halftones, or glass etching." So I'd think normal use of the glass etching cream should work out just fine. You really only need to apply the cream, then you can probably remove the stencil right after and wash it while leaving behind the cream on the glass.
The stencil is definitely not made with any natural fiber, so I think it's probably a little more resilient than normal silk-screening material.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
tmoney1224
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Hokie, do you know if the stencil material would hold up to glass etching cream? I've been looking for a cheap and easy stencil creation material for etching on my own glasses, and even on beer or wine bottles.
It does revvy, I've used it. They have a hi-res and a standard-res sheet, basically the hi-res just has smaller and more holes the cream can get threw. It works pretty well, if it is smaller lines and really intricate it can be a little tougher to get it to come out right.

I've got some pics at home, I will try to remeber to post them.

Primary 1: Milk Stout
Primary 2: Fizzy Yellow Beer
Primary 3: Boulevard Wheat with a twist
Planning: 1554 Clone

Quick Reply