Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Home Printing Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Kwill-bot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home Printing Labels

I'm going to be printing my labels off of my work printer.

I'll be donating a couple of them to buddies and assume they'll be exposed to condensation/water. Anyone know of a label paper that won't run with moisture, or of a way to laminate your labels?

Other options for a cheap newbie?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

basic brewing radio did a podcast on this a few months back, there are several options available, www.basicbrewingradio.com. if you read some other posts in this forum via doing a search, having the labels be able to come off with just water is a good thing, it makes cleaning the bottles easier. As such some peopel use milk to attach their label paper. Having the ink run when you get them wet is not good, and this is more a function of the ink rather than the paper you use, so I think you need a color lazerjet printer to get this in gear.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 07-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You don't have a laser printer at work?

I got actual label paper(with water-activated glue) from austinhomebrew for not very much that feeds and prints fine in a professional printer.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

what is considered a "professional printer"? I've never seen a printer that's printing as a hobby and does taxes the majority of the time! haha just giving you a hard time.
I read a trick earlier today on here about spraying teh labels with hair spray to protect the ink from running when getting wet.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently printed my labels on normal paper, used milk to attach, and once dried, applied clear packing tape. It sealed the label in, and even though they got wet (the colors darkened) when I put them in with ice/water, the labels stayed intact.

When it came time to remove them, I let them soak in OxyClean for like an hour, and the tape came off very easily. Worked well for just a little extra effort but no special equipment.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was just going to start searching for info on a similar topic. I want to be able to reapply my labels after cleaning the bottles and not worry about bleeding or ripping the material.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
waterse
Recipes 

I use clear acrylic spray paint meant for paper that I get at a craft store. It doesn't darken the paper as much and seals it so it won't run. Just spray a coat or two in the sheets, cut out the lables and stick em on.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Water would get in on the edges if they were cut after the paint was sprayed. I can't attest to how well the method would work if they were sprayed after, but it's worth a shot I suppose. My labels usually have dates on them though.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonic View Post
I was just going to start searching for info on a similar topic. I want to be able to reapply my labels after cleaning the bottles and not worry about bleeding or ripping the material.
Has anyone ever considered using window stickies? I get these occasionally at car shows, they're classic-friendly, non-adhesive static cling deals.

Kyle

Old 08-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know what you're talking about, but would they stay adhered once the beer starts sweating?

Quick Reply