Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Help! Label critique, please.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
peachfuzz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help! Label critique, please.

Hi guys! My boyfriend and I have gotten really into brewing beer and cider this year (thanks in part to HomeBrewTalk!) and I thought I would make and give him labels as part of his Christmas present. I need really honest feedback on these (I still have some cleanup and aligning etc. to do, and need to write actual descriptions, so ignore that stuff):

They are supposed to be sort of old-fashioned and the drawings are supposed to have that primitive woodcut character, but I am not a good enough artist to keep a truly consistent style across a series. We both like this simple, old-school look in general, though. Any advice you can give me on tweaking the drawings and type would be much appreciated - more ornamentation? Any one that doesn't fit with the rest? ANY advice is good, I want to get these looking as good as possible with my limited skills before surprising him with them (we're exchanging gifts on Sunday, so at least there's a little time). I like the apple tree best, and think the cherry cider label looks the worst - but I don't know what else to draw or how else to draw it.

I am planning on printing these on a slightly off-white paper that looks a bit aged, like old parchment. I'll put them on with the milk method. Does that seem like it would work, or does anyone have better suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
peachfuzz
Recipes 

Here are the other three labels, for non-beer things...

Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I think they look very nice. I like the style. Leads to a nice broad range of labels without being boring.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

That bee is totally gonna nail that pomegranate.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Those look awesome. He's a lucky guy.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 12-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
TerryWendel
Recipes 

Nice. The font really works with it. What is it?

Bottled: Scottish 60/, Aunt Gingers XMas Ale, No Play I.P.A.
Kegged: Still dreaming.

"I have a right to nothing which another has a right to take away." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Gregredic
Recipes 

I think they look really nice...just I think they would look better if you used a different color paper than white. Try to find some khaki (or rustic) color or something. I think they will be killer then.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregredic View Post
I think they look really nice...just I think they would look better if you used a different color paper than white. Try to find some khaki (or rustic) color or something. I think they will be killer then.
I was gonna suggest the same thing. I think it needs to look "Older".

I love the concept. That California label is very nice. But, what is that a picture of in the Gingerbread label? Ginger root? I could be because the pic is small but I'm kind of lost on that one.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
Wheat King

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yea they look pretty sweet. why not google image search for "parchment" or "old paper" or whatever and just apply the texture in photoshop or gimp or whatever. that way you can make the 'paper' any color you want. that would be super super easy to do

Conditioning:
Drinking:
Next:

Old 12-27-2008, 02:06 AM   #10
peachfuzz
Recipes 

Thanks for the nice feedback so far guys. Terry - the font is American Typewriter, with a couple effects (I think Torn Edges and then Accented Edges) applied to give the letters a wobbly printing press look.

I think you all are right about giving them a more aged look; I'm going to look for parchment-like paper to print on. I'd just underlay a cool-looking paper background underneath, but 1) I only have a black and white laser printer, and 2) there are a lot of white lines on top of black that I don't know how to fix/turn transparent in Illustrator. Easier to just print on the right paper, I think. I'll take pictures of them on the bottles - some are going on regular longnecks, some on short necked bottles, and some on these beautiful tall 375mL bottles we got.

In the meantime, if you have any more advice, keep it coming! I reworked the logo, what do you think of this for the top of the labels? Does it just look like a blob (it's a hop leaf)? What would look better?

Quick Reply