Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Free Graphics & Photos For Your Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #71
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

People don't realize they are stealing. The internet and search engines like Google make it easy to find exactly what people are looking for so they think, "hey, no one will ever know". And, none of the points the OP made ever cross 99% of people's minds. I think it's akin to ordering a cheeseburger, or any other food for that matter, and being blissfully unaware of what it took to bring them that cheeseburger.

I've done my fair share of desktop publishing and have toiled with vector images for hours on end. Cheers to the OP for bringing this topic up. And, watch out... Big Brother is watching you... he at least knows your IP address!

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #72
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I could be mistaken, but in copyright law, don't you have to vigorously defend your IP lest it become "abandoned" and part of public domain? The examples I was given were Xerox and Kleenex. Those trademarked names became household names and thus, Xerox couldn't sue someone for writing a memo that says "please provide a xerox of the invoice to the purchasing manager." Of course, I could be all wet on that.

However, that doesn't change the fact that freely posting hi-rez, un-watermarked copies of your work on the web is tantamount to throwing a bunch of 100 dollar bills into the wind and calling the cops to say "look at all these people taking my money." Or posting your bank account info and SSN on the web and then claiming identity theft.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #73
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 61

k, not going to read through the entire thread but, I do have an opinion about the original post...

If I find a pic online that I think would look good in a label on a bottle of beer that I'm not selling, I'm going to use it.

If I find a pic online that I think would look good in a label on a bottle of beer that I'm going to charge money for, or even enter in a contest, either I wouldn't use it or I would find out what I would have to do to use it legally.

Personally, I wouldn't feel right using somebody elses work for my own gain, in the slightest. Period...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #74
ReefkprZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
Get off your high horse and quit dictating how others should act.
so I guess rock stars should quit bitching about people stealing their music and downloading it illegally too huh that's just another high horse they are riding.

grow up. the guy is offering free image sources, and advice how to get images legally.

(and just so you know dictating means saying "act this way or else" I don't see that anywhere, he's not threatening negative action if you don't do what he says. he's offering advice) you don't even know the meaning of the words your using let alone the context to use them in apparently.

Next brew:lawnmower beers
Primary:
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: "Muddled pup RyePA" "SwMBO's SMaSH" 4.9 abv, allagash white clone.
Kegged:Riptide Robust Porter

Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #75
SilentAutumn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What the heck is going on this thread? At any rate, thanks to the OP for posting some free resources.

I'd also like to mention the Wiki Commons image site as a great, great resource for some amazing images. Sometimes the posters want some kind of credit, but usually don't.

The National Archives have some great photos too. But it's hard to navigate and they're still in the process of digitizing a lot of media. You have to go to "Digital Copies" tab, then under the Advanced Search, only check "Photographs and other Graphic Materials". Otherwise you'll get some confusing results.

But I've had a few pictures I've taken that I've asked for help with editing at online forums and people accused me of using copyrighted materials. I guess I just take good photos.

Photobucket has recently released some nice editing options for images with their free accounts.

And even Photoshop will let you make a some decent edits with their free accounts.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #76
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAutumn View Post
What the heck is going on this thread? At any rate, thanks to the OP for posting some free resources.
I immediately asked myself this same question within seconds of getting the first reply.

Thanks for contributing as well, I can post them in the original so future users won't have to search deep into this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAutumn View Post
But I've had a few pictures I've taken that I've asked for help with editing at online forums and people accused me of using copyrighted materials. I guess I just take good photos.
I don't mind helping you edit them. Feel free to post here or PM.
Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #77
SilentAutumn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A few other sites worth mentioning if looking for creative common licensed images:
Defense Department and their military collections
Hubble Telescope images

Thanks for offering to help. If I need a new label, I may take you up on that.

I've been able to use free sites and their editing tools to create Jones Soda style labels for my beer. I tinker with the effects, but I like a nice crisp photo. I only make labels for bottles that I give away. My labels all have the same look to them, yet they all have a little different feel.

The very first one a few years ago using CorelDraw:

And the last label I made using Photobucket:

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #78
HawksGirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well FWIW, I am a graphic designer and I did in fact win a small claims lawsuit for copyright infringement on a local company in AZ. (No names will be mentioned). What I was able to decipher throughout my entire situation is that the law will only back you if the infringement was "created to turn a profit". I had a magazine spread submitted as a proof. They used the file.... it was even low res LOL, and I was able to win my claim based on the fact that they had never paid for the proof and made a profit using my spread. It gets REALLY complicated and honestly a bit above my head not being in the law field, but to that note I consider copyright infringement using any materials that could be used to turn a profit. IMO beer labels for our homebrews would not count. It IS ALWAYS nice however to get permission to use an artists work. Again my .02.

On that note:
vectorstock.com and 123rf.com are the primaries I use when doing any vector work. Have fun.

He brews I enjoy.

Last edited by HawksGirl; 02-01-2011 at 06:52 AM.
gregger Likes This 
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #79
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksGirl View Post
On that note:
vectorstock.com and 123rf.com are the primaries I use when doing any vector work. Have fun.
I've used vectorstock many times, in fact when I read your post I could've sworn I included it in my original post. 123rf.com looks good cuz it appears to be cheaper than what I've been using commercially, but it doesn't appear to be vector images, just photographs.

Thanks, I'll add them both to my original post so future users who search won't have to look deep into this thread.
Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #80
k2zr2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
From the US copyright office website.

"Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent."

To take it a step further, even using images based on another's work is often seen as infringement. CorelDraw had a contest some year's back to be on the box cover of their next year's product. The winner drew entirely with the program (ie without scanning or tracing) an image of an Indian chief. The drawing was based on a photograph owned by Tony Stone. Even though the computer artist made some notable changes and rendered the entire thing using Corel, the photographer hit paydirt in the lawsuit.
I don't want this post to go unnoticed here. cimirie, you hit the nail on the head.

By creating labels for our home brew beer, we are not claiming copyright to said labels. Yes, many of us google image search our ideas. We use these images as inspiration to our personal designs. Even if you design looks similar to another design, and you didn't know it, you could be sued. Fair use protects us a little bit, but in my opinion not enough.

I legally cannot sell my beer so I am 100% not turning a profit from the labels.

Funny law suit story, my dad's company was sued by a big box home improvement store in the MidWest. Their name was the same as our last name. I had to relinquish our domain name because it incorporated our last name and "wood products."

How ridiculous is that? Thanks for the free resources though. Everyone else that's arguing, step away from the keyboard, relax, and have a home brew already

Quick Reply