Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Free Graphics & Photos For Your Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #51
riromero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Okay, that’s one approach. The advantage to that type of zero-tolerance policy is there’s no grey area; either it’s theft or it’s not. The disadvantage is that common sense gets left out. So if you cruise over to the “DIY project” section of this site and see a cool design for a sparge braid, no fair using it yourself or even improving it without compensation to or explicit permission from the original author. I won’t even get into the entire beer recipe archive found here. It’s a clear rule, but no reasonable person would consider it misuse.

We’re all adults. We can decide for ourselves what’s reasonable use of information found on the Internet. If you personally want to use the zero-tolerance policy for stuff you come across, that’s fine. For me it seems reasonable that someone who posted a sparge braid design/beer recipe/image to a public forum without stipulating any conditions for it’s use won’t be harmed if I use it personally for non-commercial purposes. It seems reasonable to me that Disney won’t be harmed if some guy uses Jimney Cricket holding a beer mug as a logo for homebrew he shares with his friends. So I propose that everyone abide by whatever they best consider fair use. If it breaks your heart to see others engaging in what you consider blatant, immoral theft, then send them a private message specifically stating what you think is improper rather that casting vague innuendo about misuse found in this sub-forum in general.

That's it. I'm done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #52
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
If you want to call BS on the Warhol statement, be my guest. It came from a business law class dealing with trademaek infringement in college 10 years ago. I have no citation to provide (as i dont memorize textbook names 10 years after the fact) so if in your mind that in any way validates your argument, so be it. Congratulations! Campbell's did commission a painting from him of their dried soup and donated real soup cans for his gallery - 25 years after he did his first painting of soup, during which, pop culture advertising proved he was an asset. Business is about money. Who cares what he did as long as it makes me richer.
wrong again. the original campbell's painting was done in 1962. campbell commissioned him in 1964.

i hope information from one of the world's most established auction house is a good enough reference:

Quote:
For their part, the Campbell Soup Company used the soup can as their company logo and corporate identity. After the paintings' debut and wide publicity in 1962-1963, the company appreciated that their most important product had been catapulted into a new realm. In October 1964, the company commissioned Warhol to make a larger 3 x 2 foot painting of a tomato soup can for Oliver G. Willits upon his retirement as Chairman of the Campbell’s Board of Directors.
http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159344472

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #53
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OP here. Every single one of you are wrong and right in one way or another. As a graphic artist, portrait/wedding photographer, and someone who teaches basic graphic art to young and old students, I'm cringing as I'm reading a few of these view points, and hell, my viewpoint is right and wrong to some as well.

I just want to say this so you would at least have the vast majorities' guidelines for our work... Of course it's ok to borrow other artists work. We consider our work borrowed when you ask us for permission. Sometimes, we also consider it borrowed when you take it without asking first, as long as you show us what you made with it in the end. But in any circumstance, if you "borrow" something that carries a price tag, without asking, you stole it. Stealing is illegal. If it carries a price tag, and you ask us to use a free copy of it because you only use it in your home brewery, we'll say yes, and email you a usable duplication (the only problem here is I'm sure this isn't the case 100% of the time). But remember - if it is on the internet to be sold - this is our income, and we sell this work for this very reason. We sell it to people who want it. But we'll be ethical and reasonable with you if you are with us. You aren't the decision maker when it comes to use of our work, we are (as well as the laws of course). Please ask, or use good judgment on your own.

Add the sites to your resources if you want. Use your own judgment and keep posting your labels for feedback. I'll probably think to myself "Wow, that's a great painting/photo/graphic on your label." I'll research and find the image, then the artist and look at more of their work anyway.

Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #54
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
If they take something and actually use a piece of it in their "innovation" without compensation, permission, or credit, yes they should feel terrible because they are thieves.
I feel you - if they go on to sell said "innovation" and make money w/ out giving credit. But I'd have to second riromero's plea for some common sense in this particular situation. It's homebrew we're talking about here man.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #55
freakshow10mm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger View Post
OP here. Every single one of you are wrong and right in one way or another. As a graphic artist, portrait/wedding photographer, and someone who teaches basic graphic art to young and old students, I'm cringing as I'm reading a few of these view points, and hell, my viewpoint is right and wrong to some as well.

I just want to say this so you would at least have the vast majorities' guidelines for our work... Of course it's ok to borrow other artists work. We consider our work borrowed when you ask us for permission. Sometimes, we also consider it borrowed when you take it without asking first, as long as you show us what you made with it in the end. But in any circumstance, if you "borrow" something that carries a price tag, without asking, you stole it. Stealing is illegal. If it carries a price tag, and you ask us to use a free copy of it because you only use it in your home brewery, we'll say yes, and email you a usable duplication (the only problem here is I'm sure this isn't the case 100% of the time). But remember - if it is on the internet to be sold - this is our income, and we sell this work for this very reason. We sell it to people who want it. But we'll be ethical and reasonable with you if you are with us. You aren't the decision maker when it comes to use of our work, we are (as well as the laws of course). Please ask, or use good judgment on your own.

Add the sites to your resources if you want. Use your own judgment and keep posting your labels for feedback. I'll probably think to myself "Wow, that's a great painting/photo/graphic on your label." I'll research and find the image, then the artist and look at more of their work anyway.
Get off your high horse and quit dictating how others should act.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #56
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs

I feel you - if they go on to sell said "innovation" and make money w/ out giving credit. But I'd have to second riromero's plea for some common sense in this particular situation. It's homebrew we're talking about here man.
In one of my early posts in this thread, I mentioned that I wasn't trying to change behavior. As I said, I'm no stranger to an occasional lapse in my theory (some of my iPod content, my winter warmer label, etc). But I know that if I'm called to the mat on the subject, there's no place to justify my actions. I am looking for people to simply acknowledge the same.

The likelihood of people caring or even finding out is next to none. It doesn't change the actions.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout
gregger Likes This 
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #57
gregger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
Get off your high horse and quit dictating how others should act.
That's exactly what you're doing bud.

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #58
gregger
Recipes 

Quote:
The likelihood of people caring or even finding out is next to none. It doesn't change the actions.
A+ statement. I understand that what I don't know, won't hurt me, and everyone wins. But I would definitely love to know when someone wants to or did use my labels for their home brews. Not for copyright reasons, but for "flattery".

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #59
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I remember in basic training how, upon discovering that I could draw, my fellow recruits asked me to design tattoos for them. For free of course. I gave up on a career in art soon after that.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #60
gregger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
I remember in basic training how, upon discovering that I could draw, my fellow recruits asked me to design tattoos for them. For free of course. I gave up on a career in art soon after that.
Overloaded with requests I assume?

Quick Reply