Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Free Graphics & Photos For Your Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #21
michur
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregger View Post
If you find a good photo that's more modern-ish, I don't mind photoshopping it a bit to make it look more mid-to-early 20th century-like. Also the photo you want is very unique, try looking at library sites or flickr accounts of museums/libraries. Most of them scan their old archives and post them on flickr accounts with no known copyrights, like the Library of Congress.

So I did some searching for your photo, didn't find anything that will make you say "THATS IT!" But I found some old photos that made me laugh...

Thanks gregger for looking!

"What is it with this chick? She have beer flavored nipples?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
dos_perros
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the links to the OP, I have admittedly borrowed images from sites for my own use ( NOT COMMERCIAL ) and like Bobby M. I believe that 99% of people on here borrowing images are not using them for commercial endevours. Thanks again though for the links and next time I need an image I will have more resources at my disposal.
Cheers!!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Subscribed. I'm still much too busy trying to perfect my craft and replicate my process taste-wise to worry about fancy labels, but eventually it will be cool to get a little visual appeal going with my homebrews.

Cheers

Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #24
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I want to explain the source of my displeasure and anger at the original poster’s remarks...

There’s been a gradual erosion of our rights with regards to creative content, primarily driven by the behemoth content providers (the music and motion picture industry primarily) in response to the Internet and subsequent information revolution. They have used money to buy political influence and to have laws passed that favor restriction of content over the rights of individuals who purchase and/or view that content. The retroactive extension of copyrights from 50 to 75 years simply to protect Disney’s Snow White franchise is a perfect example. There are many others. But that wasn’t enough to solve the problems of these corporate stakeholders. With the proliferation of illegal file-sharing, they realized that legal measures weren’t enough, They also had to change what ordinary people considered to be ethical use of content, not just the law. One of the main approaches is to cast movie and music piracy as stealing money from the pockets of hardworking individual artists. Of course why not go overboard and not just address illegal content piracy, but gain even greater control over the use of their products. So now, no fair using anything created by others in any way unless you pay or have explicit permission. You will get YouTube takedown notices from Columbia Records if the video of your toddler dancing includes Columbia produced music playing in the background. Fact is, this type of borrowing and modification of content hasn’t traditionally been considered unethical regardless of whether it was used commercially or not. The often cited example is Mickey Mouse’s debut in “Steamboat Willie” is obviously a variation of Buster Keaton’s “Steamboat Bill”. Andy Warhol made a lot more money on his Campbell Soup lithographs than the poor guy who designed the cans in the first place. In today’s environment, that type of artistic creativity would be litigated away. The irony is, perhaps this stricter interpretation of fair use will end up hurting the hardworking individual artists more than helping.

So it’s irksome to me, to say the least, to hear someone uncritically parroting this propaganda in the context of the activity taking place in this label sub-forum. Borrowing elements of content from others and incorporating it into an entirely new design is perfectly ethical and fair use. Furthermore, if an artist wishes to be compensated there are plenty of simple ways to protect their work, via watermarks, cryptography, etc. Ethics aside, the legality of doing this is far from settled either; there’s a reason why the RIAA sues the distributors of illegal content rather than the consumers. These are complex issues, with the Lawrence Lessigs of the world at one extreme and the RIAA/MPAA on the other and I don’t have all the answers. But neither am I willing to uncritically accept the views of either side. I’ve posted my share of label designs here because of the great commentary and feedback. I find this to be a fantastic resource. Now I have to look over my shoulder each time because the volunteer “cop” is watching to point out violations of the RIAA/MPAA fair use fantasy? That’s what brought the attitude.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #25
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ethics and legalese aside, I think that a collection of free source images and free creation tools would make a GREAT sticky for this subforum.

I used to know people who would brag about downloading "the latest xxxxxx program" that should have cost them $1000 but warez'd it...and I never understood it. When there are FREE resources available that do everything that you need them to do, why not support and utilize them?

Who, outside of graphics designers, really needs Photoshop when GIMP and Inkscape are available? Many people seem to get so tied up on the idea that the price tag of something is a hallmark of quality that they tend to overlook other options. Even when I was a windows user, I'd always look for a free utility to do what I wanted, be it a partition manager, antivirus, backup utility, registry cleaner, or whatever. And you know what? Most of the time, these programs worked BETTER because they weren't loaded with tons of bloat (*ahem*, excuse me, "features") that I didn't need.

In any case, thank you greggor for the links. I've bookmarked this thread and will definitely be utilizing the resources in the future.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
In any case, thank you greggor for the links. I've bookmarked this thread and will definitely be utilizing the resources in the future.
Thank you and you're welcome! That, in essence, is all I was looking to accomplish. In fact, I can come up with a much more comprehensive list. Just as long as there aren't irrelevant ramblings about big corporations, RIAA/MPAA, Disney, You Tube, Columbia Records... Those arguments are great but can be saved for another topic. I'm just happy to help HBT and my fellow graphic artists who are in-touch with the public in this economy, which is why I say most of us will be THRILLED to let you use our property for free with a smile. We love flattery. Irrationality, put-downs, and attitudes can go elsewhere.

And don't worry I do intend on giving back to HBT, just as soon as I have the disposable income!
Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #27
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As a professor of art as well, I would ask what about "appropriation"? You can look back to Duchamp....and all the way up to Warhol. Come on, step down off the soap box, this is a site about beer, seriously?
But....You've convinced me OP, I'm never stealing again. I'm also driving the speed limit from now on, I will not talk on the phone while driving, and I will not smoke in a restricted area......oh I have stop downloading illegal music as well. Thanks for pointing me on the path to rightousness.

Saved....V

Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #28
gregger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocurt View Post
Thanks for pointing me on the path to rightousness.

Saved....V
That wasn't my mission for starting the thread. Use your own sound judgment and be ethical voodoo, that's all. The artist would love to know you like their work and would like to know if someone uses it on their labels. Never said don't do it, heck I was't even complaining, I even said I'll help, just please be ethical. That's what a decent person would do. Artists understand it's only home brewed beer with labels to be shared amongst a small group of friends, which is why I said they'll happily give you their blessing with no charge. Try to avoid borrowing without asking though if you have a good heart.

Am I coming off a certain way? Why are people being so sarcastic and irrational about this? I really don't understand the cynicism.

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
schmoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts

I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this whole thing. If nothing else it adds more places to get better pictures. I, for one, thank you very much for the resources.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #30
gregger
Recipes 

^ +1 Schmoe thanks man

Quick Reply