Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > First label, Thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
BucksPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default First label, Thoughts?

The SWMBO was the first to critique my label. While she likes it, she thinks I need to create more whitespace. Anyway, I'm not a graphic designer by trade, but feel confident I can improve my skills. Luckily, we were able to purchase CS5 through her work for $180. Well worth it!

Anyway, I am also curious what you guys use as for labels. I purchased staples brand inkjet fullpage labels. It was $35 for 100 labels and I can fit 3 (4" x 6.5") labels per page. The only problem with these labels are that they are not water resistant. The only full-page water resistant labels I could find were obviously vinyl, but cost $112 for 100 sheets at labelsbythesheet.com. Do you have any other recommendations?

Here's my first label for a dunkelweizen I made. I love the name, Drunken Uncle Dunkel. Everyone has an Uncle Dunkel, right????

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
ihomebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's good, but I think your wife is right about the white space, it feels a little crowded.

I would suggest removing the line of bottles above the title, and moving the title up a little. This would allow you to uncompress the Dunkel text veritcally, giving the label a more spacious feel that is balanced more squarely, rather than feeling a little too stretched horizontally.

You could round off the recipe grain bill percentages to visually clean the numbers up a little.

I am not a fan of using too many different fonts, so I would change the recycle section's font to match.

CS5 is nice software. I have wasted many hours on YouTube trying to figure out how to use it.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
BargainMugs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 for more negative space and limiting fonts.

You may want to include color to increase the hierarchy of the logo.

Quick Reply