Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Favorite Commecial Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #21
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
The fungability of products and services is the cornerstone of our way of life.
Speak for yourself. The cornerstone of my way of life is the acknowledgment that I am primarily focused on the maximization of enjoyment and satisfaction, doing as much of whatever I want whenever I want regardless of what others may think. The fungibility of goods and products isn't the cornerstone of my way of life, it just makes it a little easier for me to further my own interests...

Quote:
If your not satisfied with that, I'll be glad to peel the labels off your commercial beers if you turn over all of your President logo'd green paper.
So exactly which flavor is enhanced by the fungibility of goods and services? Does that add malty aroma or hoppy bitterness?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #22
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Speak for yourself. The cornerstone of my way of life is the acknowledgment that I am primarily focused on the maximization of enjoyment and satisfaction, doing as much of whatever I want whenever I want regardless of what others may think. The fungibility of goods and products isn't the cornerstone of my way of life, it just makes it a little easier for me to further my own interests...

So exactly which flavor is enhanced by the fungibility of goods and services? Does that add malty aroma or hoppy bitterness?
The nature of a post is to speak for oneself.

I'm sorry, I guess you're off the grid also?
In your uptopia, if people enjoy a well designed logo may they also
"<focus> on the maximization of enjoyment and satisfaction, doing as much of whatever <they> want whenever <they> want regardless of what others may think<?>"

How do you feel about a poorly designed label then. Are you apt to pick up a Tub Girl Ale (with graphic label)?

Taste and our other senses are tied to the external environment. Things are experienced differently in different contexts.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #23
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

I enjoy a "Golden age of Beer" type label that evokes a sense of the period.

http://hans.presto.tripod.com/blog/blatz_beer.jpg

http://www.conetop.com/hpct%20gettle%20irtp.JPG

Twitter

Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

some of my personal favorites

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Last edited by Vermicous; 05-02-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #25
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I agree that the overall presentation is important, but then art is important to me. As an artist it is often apparent to me that a LARGE % of the population (here in the U.S. at least) could not give flying F%&# about artistic concerns be they visual/musical/ or what have you, yet art is EVERYWHERE. I guess the question is, would people care if the art was not there.

Okay back to labels...

I too enjoy the old labels, but then I also have a "thing" for most anything antiquated.

I have to say I cannot really think of too many modern labels I am fond of save maybe:

pretty tasty contents too.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #26
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
I'm sorry, I guess you're off the grid also?
Of course not! Because 1. that wouldn't be fun for me; 2. Electricity is a product which requires no branding or differentiation. Electricity is Electricity. Kind of like Budweiser and Coors and Miller. They're all the same, they just have different labels. 3. See point 1- I wouldn't enjoy it.

Quote:
How do you feel about a poorly designed label then. Are you apt to pick up a Tub Girl Ale (with graphic label)?
If it was truly an amazing beer? I definitely would. I would then pour it into a glass like a civilized human being and throw the bottle away. Wouldn't you?

Quote:
Taste and our other senses are tied to the external environment. Things are experienced differently in different contexts.
But that doesn't change the reality. If you don't like a beer because tub girl is on the label, then I question whether you really have full control of your faculties. I could understand a 5 year old acting like that, getting excited about a cereal with a cartoon character on it, but aren't we supposed to grow up at some point and be a little less superficial?

To me, fancy labels that make it difficult to recognize the product is a big turn off. I want to be able to walk down the aisle, glance at a package, and know what's inside. I guess if I were LOOKING for the Flying Dog Ales, then the labels would help me identify them on the shelves, but the problem is, I don't have brand loyalty. If FD's barley wine sucks and their porter is good, then I will seek out their porter. But the busy-ness of the labels make me look three times harder for the style of beer. So I generally look at the easier to read bottles first and then, if I don't find what I'm looking for, I wade through "the rest" which are more difficult to read and decipher...

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 05-02-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #27
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knights of Gambrinus
I have to say I cannot really think of too many modern labels I am fond of save maybe:

pretty tasty contents too.
It's modern but has historic qualities.
When was the last time you saw anyone with a monacle or heard someone (other than Baron von Bee Gee) exclaim "Bully".

Boulevard logo and script has elements of the 20's.
Twitter

Old 05-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #28
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
I question whether you really have full control of your faculties. I could understand a 5 year old acting like that, getting excited about a cereal with a cartoon character on it, but aren't we supposed to grow up at some point and be a little less superficial?
Um...

I think you described your girlfriend as looking hot.
Twitter

Old 05-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #29
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Label?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...21&postcount=6

Quote:
My first serious girlfriend was a middle-eastern brunette... great olive skin, fantastic set of tits, just awesome.

Then I dated a bunch of white girls and couldn't stand them. I never found any one that I liked, even slightly. I thought none could ever compare to my first love.

Then I discovered latinas. Dated one from Costa Rica, one from Mexico and a few others and my faith in womankind was restored. I just love that middle-of-the-road year-round tan, ya know? But as I was dating my most recent latina, I found my eye being drawn more and more to blondes again. And to white girls.. and I thought to myself, "Damn.. if I stay with this girl, I'll never nail another white chick again and that would be sad."

So we broke up because she was a raging latina beeotch (it's amazing how many of those are out there... and how well they can hide it!!!) and now I'm dating a a 5'8" athletic blonde chick with a D-cup and a penchant for eiswein, Optimator, and tequila. Best of all though, she cooks like mad!!! So far this year, I've had homemade chili, pierogies from scratch, mousaka, and a variety of other similarly complicated dishes. The woman cooks a whole turkey, makes soup from the carcas, and is done by 2pm as though it were no big deal. And for Valentine's day? She found an "I Dream of Genie" costume. OMFG...

So yeah, now I'm back to blondes. Sure, I still look longingly at the foreign ladies in the middle of the winter with their 24/7/365 tans. That'd be really nice to have. And if SWMBO ever permits me to have a second wife, I know where to start looking. But for now, I'm happy with my wonderful girlfriend...
Twitter

Old 05-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #30
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
It's modern but has historic qualities.
When was the last time you saw anyone with a monacle or heard someone (other than Baron von Bee Gee) exclaim "Bully".

Boulevard logo and script has elements of the 20's.
Exactly, plus they simulate wood engraving/ woodcut techniques for their images, a personal weakness. Additionally speaking of overall presnetation, there packaging was pretty cool too (have not seen it lately) 6 and 12 pack boxes.

On a different note, I use to get a beer in college with an awful name. I think they went out of business. The beer was always cheap but pretty decent. It was called "Goats Breath Bock" Cannot recall the labels, alas.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Quick Reply