Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Favorite Commecial Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Favorite Commecial Labels

I think some beer labels are starting to become real works of art. My favorite are from Flying Dog Ales.

They are original and eye catching.

"Art is our first language and we like and agree with what Ralph Steadman chooses to say through his art on our labels; that this is a wonderful world on a wacky path."
- Flying Dog Co-founder George Stranahan

Any other favorites out there?

Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I tend to shy away from labels that look like they were drawn by 3rd graders. I prefer a more classical appearance. Focus your energies on the INSIDE of the bottle...

Old 05-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey, don't knock Steadman. He rocks. Saying his art looks like it was drawn by third graders is kind of like saying that French Impressionist era artwork looks like it was painted by people with really bad vision.

BTW, Flying Dog does a great job on the stuff inside too. You know, i is possible to make great beer AND have nice labels too. And if you knew anything about the industry, you'd know that label design plays a huge part in the success of your beverage. Poorly done labels can turn off potential customers, while graphically pleasing ones can draw in those who would otherwise walk right by your beer. You'd be surprised how many people come into our shop and buy stuff just by what the label looks like. Yes, silly, but that's the market. The same market that buys 'Goats do Roam' because of the silly name.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Drive
I think some beer labels are starting to become real works of art. My favorite are from Flying Dog Ales.

They are original and eye catching.

"Art is our first language and we like and agree with what Ralph Steadman chooses to say through his art on our labels; that this is a wonderful world on a wacky path."
- Flying Dog Co-founder George Stranahan

Any other favorites out there?

Al
I shall have to agree that the Flying Dog labels have to be some of the best out there. I'm always finding something new on them that I've never noticed before. My favorite label has to be the Road Dog Porter. Good Beer - No Sh1t! Good People Drink Good Beer. 2 great quotes on 1 label I also really liked the older Shiner Hefeweizen label. They used to have the large picture of the guy on the label. Was always a pleasure making that guy smile!

Old 05-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I think that the flying dog labels are too busy. When I seem them on tap handles, it's tough to tell what kind of beer it is. I'm not a fan of the beer, but I like this label

I like this one too

Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

I think one of the coolest things about homebrewing is the fact that the best beer some people will ever have will come in a plain brown unmarked bottle with just maybe some simple handwriting on it. There's something cool about that....

I agree, the Flying Dog labels are too busy. I have to walk right up to tell what the heck kind of beer it is and that seems counterproductive to getting me to pick it up on a whim. And just because "people" walk in and buy something just because of the label doesn't mean that it is a smart thing to do. Flying dog is one of the few breweries where I can't name the styles of beer they sell. I know they have a barley wine, because I tried it. But I don't know what their other styles are because I can't tell from the package without staring at them for 5 minutes. LOL. And the only reason I bought the barleywine is that I was looking for one and SWMBO noticed it on the package. She was drawn in. I was repulsed.

I have avoided their beers because the over-the-top style makes me think they are trying to overhype themselves.

The Dark Lord has a similarly goofy label. The dark lord is released once a year, has a waxed top, and is 13% abv. It's a beer brewed with extreme passion. There is a once-a-year party surrounding this beer. I can overlook the label.

I still prefer product info over flashy design. I know there are others that think differently and I know they must be marketed to as well. I'm just saying the appearance of their product has always made me extremely skeptical...

Then again, NASCAR is brightly colored too, and I can't stand that either...

Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
razyrsharpe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

the monty python holy ail is one of my favs. "tempered over burning witches"...classic.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
And just because "people" walk in and buy something just because of the label doesn't mean that it is a smart thing to do.
I suppose that that decision is ultimately in the hands of the free market. Is it "smart" in terms of whether it is too busy for certain people? No. Is it "smart" in that getting a renowned artist to design your labels with wacked-out drawings may just draw in a certain clientèle? I suppose if it wasn't, then they'd stop doing it. It must still be making money for them, or they'd switch up. Unless they like not making money just to do a favor for Ralph Steadman. It certainly hasn't hurt Bonny Doon as far as I can see.

Quote:
I have avoided their beers because the over-the-top style makes me think they are trying to overhype themselves.
Like I said, if that was the market consensus, I think they'd have changed up their strategy by now.

Quote:
I still prefer product info over flashy design. I know there are others that think differently and I know they must be marketed to as well. I'm just saying the appearance of their product has always made me extremely skeptical...
But if you prejudge based on a flashy label, are you really any different from the people who would buy it because of the flashy label? If the beer inside is good, then it shouldn't matter either way. For the non-beer-geeks who are looking for something cool to buy, it matters, so they make their labels flashy and catchy. For the beer geeks, the label shouldn't matter either way, so what do they have to lose? I for one never base my opinions of a beer or wine on the label.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
mozicodo

Recipes 

I'm kind of partial to the Hop Devil label:

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
But if you prejudge based on a flashy label, are you really any different from the people who would buy it because of the flashy label? If the beer inside is good, then it shouldn't matter either way. For the non-beer-geeks who are looking for something cool to buy, it matters, so they make their labels flashy and catchy. For the beer geeks, the label shouldn't matter either way, so what do they have to lose? I for one never base my opinions of a beer or wine on the label.
I tried the barleywine. I was unimpressed. It wasn't bad, but it was one of the 5 least interesting ones I've ever had. It struck me as the BMC of barleywines. There is only one barleywine which I've had and would rate lower overall, although I would choose the Flying Dog over about 4 or 5 others that just don't suit my palate.

Now, if they make a beer that I am absolutely missing out on, I'm all ears, but I tried one 4-pack and felt as though my suspicions were confirmed. I didn't feel ripped off or anything, just a little disappointed.

Anyway, this is about labels, not beers, so I'll bow out of the discussion. You may have the last word if you choose. I'll go find a label I like... hold on..

Quick Reply