Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > esky (ice water) proof labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
twofieros
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I found a great way to keep this glue warm while working with it. I got one of those warming plates for scented wax and I place the glue on it. It keeps it at the perfect temperature!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
high5apparatus
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm going to try this out on a batch of my nephew's wedding beer! Thanks for the tip. This comment is really just to bookmark it in the "my replies"

Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067

Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #23
NinjaMedic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I used this on a wedding beer a couple years ago and never said thanks... so THANKS! This works great, went on easy, stayed on and came off in hot water. Epic.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
HeritageHD
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Curing Temp

Thanks for posting this!

For the curing time after the label is applied what temperature should the bottles be at? Will the solution cure at room temp or should they always be in the fridge?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #25
opm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Room temperature is fine.
I naturally carb my beer. Labels go on then they sit around at room temp for weeks/months/years in some cases.
The glue has to get pretty hot before it starts to soften (a lot hotter than I’d be comfortable storing by beer at) and even then it should re-set once it cools down again.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #26
HeritageHD
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by opm View Post
Room temperature is fine.
I naturally carb my beer. Labels go on then they sit around at room temp for weeks/months/years in some cases.
The glue has to get pretty hot before it starts to soften (a lot hotter than I’d be comfortable storing by beer at) and even then it should re-set once it cools down again.
Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #27
zhubbell
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sweet!! Hanna try this soon! Where can I find the chemicals to make the glue locally?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #28
opm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubbell View Post
Sweet!! Hanna try this soon! Where can I find the chemicals to make the glue locally?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
By chemicals i assume you mean the glycerine.
Don't know where you are, but in Austraila you can get glycerine in the supermarket and chemist. (think it's used as a skin care product, it's just one of those things that has always been in the cupboard)
also known as "Glycerol, glycerine, glycerin"

looking at older post, people have found it at craft stores, somebody else mentions a "CVS" (don't know what that is assume it's a store in the U.S.)

Everything else is in the supermarket or quite possibly already in your pantry

Old 11-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #29
philipmeese
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Wanted to say I made this glue up and labelled a few cases of beer last night. Seems to have worked really well. I'm pretty thrilled that I've gone from commercially printed labels that come out at around $1.25 each (Evermine vinyl pre-glued - pricey but really nice) to doing it all myself and getting a great result.

Some details and comments...

Art: I am using Gimp to do the label art, printing six on a sheet using a color laser printer on regular paper. I had never used Gimp before, so I needed to do some tutorials and lean on the help system pretty heavily, and I'm sure I didn't do everything the "right" way, but it worked out pretty well, and I'm very happy with the result.

Cost: The color printed laser sheets cost me 30 cent each, and I lay out the label art in Word so they're 6 to a sheet. So that's 5 cents a label. The ingredients for a batch of this glue is about $5.00. Because it goes a long way, I would say cost-per-bottle is eventually extremely small, call it 2 cents. At an all-in cost of 7 cents a bottle, I'm psyched.

Cutting: Trimming those labels to size is a PITA, and I used a flatbed paper cutter board. Next time I arrange the pages, I'm going to (1) overprint the labels to make it easier to avoid white edges and (2) print cut marks (DOH!) to make it easier to sight the cut lines. I'll also arrange the labels to save the number of cuts.

Attaching the labels: Putting these labels on is certainly more messy than using pre-glued label stock, but honestly, once I got the hang of it, it was fine. I keep a moist rag on my knee to wipe my hands on.

Glue consistency: Yes, the glue gets gummy as it warms up. I found it necessary to reheat it, or leave the bottle in a pan of hot water while I was working. This worked fine, but I like the idea of the warmer plate that twofieros is using. Dude - got a link to that product?

I also saw how gummy the glue was when I first made it and added two more tbsp of water. Don't know if I've ruined it or not but it seems to have worked just fine. I did this to make it more workable, but obviously I've stretch the batch a bit too.

Hope this is helpful and thanks again for posting OPM!

Reason: bad math

Quick Reply