dom kolsch knockoff label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
I threw this together this evening
I spent about a month staying in Aachen a few years back and Dom was the beer of choice. To pay homage, I did a personalized knock-off, Rim is the street I live on and the building is the Idaho Capitol (here in Boise). Rein Obergarig means "purely top fermenting" or something similar.
-ander
kolsch-1.jpg

The difference in length between REIN and OBERGARIG makes it look weird and unbalanced.

P.S. Aachen is awesome. I lived there for 4 months (Spring 2007) while studying abroad at RWTH-Aachen and had the time of my life. Dom Koelsch was one of my drinks of choice, dunkelweizens were up there too. Nothing better than Mr. Kebop and an Erdinger Dunkel after a night at the bar. mmmmmmmmmm

Nice anderj; I stayed right outside of Koln in Langenfeld and when in Koln downed many a Dom in their brewpub.

Very clever; I may have to steal your idea!

I agree that the text at the bottom is a little off, also I think that I need to stretch the "Rim" text a bit vertically. What do you think about adding the gold medal logos? maybe there is something else I could add to take their place.

A couple of hyper-critical observations for you should you care to hear them. I am simply comparing your work to the original, not saying these are faults should your label be considered on its own metrits. Hope this doesn't come off as overly critical, because I think it's a great idea and it's executed well.

1. Overall shape is too oval. Original is more or less round.
2. Yellow border is too thick
3. Missing golden coin emblems
4. Dome of capitol building should be a shilouette, not a 2-level posterize - e.g. fill in the white space with green.
5. Yellow highlight color on "Rim" lettering is off - should be closer to the color you used on the main oval border
6. "Kolsch" should be in a sans-serif font
7. Red banner should be thicker (taller) so as to provide more bottom padding below "Kolsch"
8. The bifurcated "tails" of the banner should be shorter and curved upwards slightly
9. "Rein Obergarig" text is too curved. It is matching the curve of the oval, which in itself is incorrect.
10. Missing Uumlaut over the "A" in "Obergarig"
11. Put a slight inner shadow on the white circle background and do something with the border to give it a little more depth.
12. "Rein Obergarig" font color doesn't appear to be black in the original. Try it with something a little less saturated.
13. The red color of the banner seems just a bit off from the original even after compensating for final print - e.g. when you print yours, the red will still be off from the original.
14. White stroke around "Rim" is too thick.

Forgot one thing: If you stretch "rim" vertically, only stretch the "im" - that font is a bit off from the original, and the proportions between the capital an lower case are different.

I think it looks just fine the way it is.

Mr Nate, you forgot about the different "m" in Rim. Also, use i.e., not e.g.

I noted that the font was different. Didn't feel I needed to point out that every letter of the font was different.

You referred to the Kolsch font, not the Rim font.

Back