The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Do you guys put labels on all your bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
riverfrontbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Do you guys put labels on all your bottles?

Or just the ones you are giving as gifts?

I am just wondering, because after I get the commercial labels off, I don't want to clean labels off again!

To identify my beers I cut out small labels for the caps that I print on mailing label sheets.

Just wondering what others do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't bottle any more, but when I did, I would just put those little circular stickers on the caps with some abbreviation on it to let me know what beer was what.... or keep the different batches in different boxes and just label the box.

When I gave some away, or if I took some to a gathering and wanted to make them look classy, I would print labels on "label paper" I bought from the LHBS and slap them on the bottles. The glue on that paper came off much easier than commercial labels.

In general, the bottles I gave away never made it back home to me anyway.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I don't bottle any more, but when I did, I would just put those little circular stickers on the caps with some abbreviation on it to let me know what beer was what.... or keep the different batches in different boxes and just label the box.
Yup, thats what I used to do. Way back in the bottling days...

Apparently if you put them on with milk they come off very easily though. But my bottling days were before my HBT days, so I didn't know this tidbit and skipped it all together.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Having spent a great deal of time soaking the labels off commercial beer bottles so I can put MY beer in there, I don't label. But for gifts I designed a set of bottle tags.

A lot of folks evidently used them last year for Christmas, and I know one guy who is going semi-pro and doing boutique pico-brewing, and he asked if he could use my design. You can download the template here, and in my bottling thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/wine...ng-tags-93201/

For my own use, I just sharpie a code on the caps, it makes it easier to cover them up come contest time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
For my own use, I just sharpie a code on the caps, it makes it easier to cover them up come contest time.
That's what I used to do but recently bought some of those adhesive 'dots' Walker mentioned...they're just easier for me to write on (being 'wrong' handed and all ). Rubbing alcohol gets sharpie ink off very easily.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Nope. Just the ones I give away.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nope. I just enjoy designing the labels.

I also Sharpie the cap. Very easy.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2 View Post
Nope. I just enjoy designing the labels.

I also Sharpie the cap. Very easy.
Oh that's funny...I too have played around with label designs, but never actually put them on my bottles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
David
Recipes 

I use labels mostly for gifts and on beers that I want to show off to friends and neighbors. But I bought full size sheets of the waterproof sticker paper which peel off later with almost no residue. For my own beers I just write intials on the cap while it's dry with a dark colored sharpie and it rarely ever rubs off.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love designing labels and put them on every beer I bottle. I just find the experience more complete with an attractive label. I print them on a laser jet and apply them with two small lines of water soluble glue stick. Labels come off with a wipe and they look professional.

I design most of my labels to be rectangular. This allows me to cut them out with a paper cutter and it goes fast.

Quick Reply