Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > DIY Custom Crown Caps!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #81
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2429 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Ok, while at Wally world last night I looked for some matte stuff in the craft section. Without knowing what I was looking for exactly. They had some stuff that was for fixing puzzles and sealing or whatever. I believe you mixed it with water and spread it on puzzles to make them permanent. Is this the same stuff?? The only other stuff was matte paint I think. They didn't have that brand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #82
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Also, Midwest Supplies has colored caps. I'd seen them before:

Colored Caps

Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #83
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Ok, while at Wally world last night I looked for some matte stuff in the craft section. Without knowing what I was looking for exactly. They had some stuff that was for fixing puzzles and sealing or whatever. I believe you mixed it with water and spread it on puzzles to make them permanent. Is this the same stuff?? The only other stuff was matte paint I think. They didn't have that brand.
I'm afraid it's probably not the same stuff. I'm vaguely familiar with what you are talking about and it would probably be way too viscous and adhesive. Matte medium is more like a paint (basically paint without pigment). Michael's sells it along with any self respecting art supply store.
I'd love to hear about any success stories (or otherwise) if there are any out there besides me.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #84
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Yes, you are right. I stopped by and got some anyway, just in case, and got as far as printing a logo and sticking it, but it washes right off. This stuff is more like thick glue.

Anyway, I understand what I'm shopping for (it's like an acrylic paint that dulls a glossy finish) and will probably just order online at amazon or something. Don't know if we have an art supply store nearby that would carry it.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #85
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
...I understand what I'm shopping for (it's like an acrylic paint that dulls a glossy finish) ...
Just to be clear... it is not glossy in the least. In fact, it says right in the name, *matte* medium. I'm not sure if the glossy version would work, or perhaps if it would work any better, but I guess that's another experiment for another time. I'm not sure if the brand matters either, so try and stick with "Golden" brand to stay on the safe side.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #86
hexmonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

wouldn't this be easier to do by printing onto round clear labels?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #87
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexmonkey View Post
You'd get those chintzy looking edges on most clear plastic labels. I'm going to try waterslide paper (the stuff that model decals are printed on) to see how that works, but this matte medium method is pretty awesome.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #88
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexmonkey View Post
Yeah, that has been mentioned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Crafty process and all, but you can get something like 300 clear printable circle labels for $7...
...but like SumnerH mentioned, it just looks slapped together (because it is I guess) in my opinion. My method is certainly not for large production runs or anything, but if you wanted to add a touch of class or go the extra mile, I can hardly think of any other printing method available at our scale.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #89
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Just to be clear... it is not glossy in the least. In fact, it says right in the name, *matte* medium. I'm not sure if the glossy version would work, or perhaps if it would work any better, but I guess that's another experiment for another time. I'm not sure if the brand matters either, so try and stick with "Golden" brand to stay on the safe side.
Right, it's used to dull a glossy paint sometimes according to the reading I've been doing. Anyway, I plan to buy the same brand in your picture.

I've thought about using the clear round labels too. I just don't see them as being as nice looking. Certainly faster and easier, but then I got some kids who might learn something from the process, so why not give it a go?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #90
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
You'd get those chintzy looking edges on most clear plastic labels. I'm going to try waterslide paper (the stuff that model decals are printed on) to see how that works, but this matte medium method is pretty awesome.
DO you have a source for sheets of this? Let us know how it goes. I'd certainly like to see what happpens.

Quick Reply