Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > DIY Custom Crown Caps!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #151
khkman22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dumb question I know, but is the lacquer the same thing as the matte medium?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #152
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkman22 View Post
Dumb question I know, but is the lacquer the same thing as the matte medium?
Not dumb at all! Think of the matte medium as the glue and the lacquer as the finishing gloss coat. The matte medium is applied with a brush and the lacquer as a spray.

Instead of matte medium, many craft stores (pretty much all of them) sell something called "Mod Podge". You can use that too. Probably cheaper as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #153
khkman22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So basically this for the lacquer? http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1005610...0#.UmqI4nm9LCQ

A Hobby Lobby just opened near me so I may look for the mod podge there.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #154
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkman22 View Post
So basically this for the lacquer? http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1005610...0#.UmqI4nm9LCQ

A Hobby Lobby just opened near me so I may look for the mod podge there.
That particular can of lacquer is satin, so if you like that kind of finish, go for it. Personally, I like the semi gloss to better mimic regular bottle caps.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #155
khkman22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I am bottling next weekend so I may try to rush and get the supplies for this. If I do this on Monday or Tuesday, do you think that's too soon to lacquer and it may crack when capping? Can I just imprint the logos and then wait until Friday to lacquer? Just curious of what's enough time to dry vs too long that may cause cracking. Also, when lacquering, do you do that outside?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #156
khkman22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the second attempt on my first cap. The first time I don't think I burnished good because some of the logo wasn't on the cap and I don't think I scratched it off. I think I may have had too much matte medium on this one because I can see a layer of white on part and it is magnified in the picture. Pretty sure I rubbed off all I can without rubbing off the logo. I am pleased enough that I'm going to keep trying to make some. This one is for my Vanilla Pecan Porter. This is before lacquering so I expect it to look better after I do that, but I just needed to test out this part before spending money on the lacquer.

Hokies,would you say it's better to just have a thin layer of matte medium and not to make it too thick? I think I put more on just to try to make sure I covered it and captured the whole image, but maybe it's not necessary.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #157
zhaufler
Recipes 

I use bottlemark.com

It's actually pretty easy and I'm not good with a computer they have videos on YouTube that help u design cool caps !

image-1377901337.jpg

image-645037543.jpg  

Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #158
NTexBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Awesome Thread!
Even better coming from a fellow Hokie!!

I have a Tripel in long Secondary that I plan to bottle in 750ml corked bottles for xmas gifts. It bugged me that with most corked bottles you buy the brewery has the first letter or some symbol on the cap part of the wire cage. I figured that my wire cages were going to be plain. Not now! I have HP Glossy presentation paper so that is what I used.

I'm also including some pictures of another way to easily mark your caps that is unique and noticed by everyone trying my beers. In this thread someone had mentioned about using stamps. Stamping ink does not work but craft acrylic paint and rubber stamps work pretty well. Not all of the stamps come out perfect but it is very easy and helps me identify beers quickly. Plus I don't mind as much taking my daughter to Hobby Lobby or Michaels for her to get more Rainbow Loom supplies since I can check out the stamp aisle for something new. The beer bottle stamp I actually got from ETSY.com. I have bought a few stamps from ETSY.com. I put the paint on the sponge. Work the paint in the sponge then stamp the sponge, stamp the cap.

Finally, there is actually a special paper made by this company http://www.tilano.net/imaging-paper
I used this paper making marble coasters. You print on the paper reverse image with a laser printer. The "glue" that came with the kit is probably the exact same as matte medium. Once you have "glued" the paper to the surface you wet the paper and then peel off the paper leaving the image. If it works on marble stone it should work well on bottle caps or bottles. For the coasters I had Staples do the laser printing. The paper is pretty pricey but it is designed to do what Hokie is doing with presentation paper.

photo-3-1.jpg   photo-2-1.jpg   photo-1-1.jpg   coaster.jpg  

Quick Reply