The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > DIY Custom Crown Caps!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #141
Hokie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHorneDog View Post
so before i read the whole thread i wanted to see if anyone could answer my question quickly.

do you need to quickly cut and transfer the image after printing or can it be done over a couple of hours/days? IE you print out a sheet of like 24 images and you do 12 today and 12 tomorrow will there be a difference?
Once the image is printed, you can wait as long as you want to transfer. It's not like a stamp or anything where you need wet ink to transfer from one medium to the other. It is pretty much gluing down the image to the cap, and then the paper is rubbed away leaving only the slightest remnants necessary to keep a visible image.

The only thing I've noticed that may need some attention to time is the period between lacquering the cap and capping the bottles. Depending on the type of lacquer, it may get too hard and show slight cracks when the cap is crimped onto the bottle... YMMV

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #142
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Very cool, liking it alot !!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #143
Max91
Recipes 

Very nice work!!! However, I might have the same problem as most other guys...when I scrap the paper off...ink is coming off as well.

Q1: Is it normal that some of the "Golden" remains around the transfered picture?

Q2: Could anyone make a small video?

regards,
Max

Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #144
Bottom-Side-Up
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone tried these guys yet?

BottleMark Custom Bottle Caps: Custom Bottle Caps/Crown Corks for Home Brewers, Craft Breweries, Scrapbookers, and More

They allow a free digital picture of your caps before ordering. I had this one done a couple of days ago. Looks like they charge $0.12 a cap.

ds-7236.jpg  

Facebook: Bottom-Side-Up Brewing CO.

twitter: @bsu_brews
twitter: @bsubrewer
instagram: bottomsideupbrewing

Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #145
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max91 View Post
Very nice work!!! However, I might have the same problem as most other guys...when I scrap the paper off...ink is coming off as well.

Q1: Is it normal that some of the "Golden" remains around the transfered picture?

Q2: Could anyone make a small video?

regards,
Max
There are a few things that need to be done properly to make sure the image is transfered properly.

- First, the medium needs to be applied in a thin, full coverage coat (pretty obvious, but I feel like I need to say it for the sake of completeness). Once the image is applied, the paper needs to be burnished/rubbed firmly across the entire surface, essentially sqeezing out any excess medium. Let dry for 10-15 minutes (I've been able to wait as little as five).
- Second, the type of paper may have have an impact on the effectiveness of the procedure. The matte presentation paper may work best because of the fine coating they apply to the paper to enhance the quality... that coating is what I think may prevent the image from being rubbed away once it's "glued" to the cap.... which brings be to my next point....
- The paper has to be lightly RUBBED away under water, not sraped. I scrape at the paper when I want to get rid of the image and start over.
- Depending on how heavily you applied the matte medium in the first step, there may be some buildup around the shoulder of the cap. You can scrape that away as long as it's not touching part of the image.

Unfortunately, the process is somewhat of an art until you get a feel for it. After that, caps can be made by the dozen in no time. I'll see what I can do about getting a video put together, but don't count on it in the immediate future. I've had to move around a lot in the past couple years and finding the materials may be a bit daunting.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #146
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Ok, while at Wally world last night I looked for some matte stuff in the craft section. Without knowing what I was looking for exactly. They had some stuff that was for fixing puzzles and sealing or whatever. I believe you mixed it with water and spread it on puzzles to make them permanent. Is this the same stuff?? The only other stuff was matte paint I think. They didn't have that brand.

I've used the Walmart modge podge brand matte medium in my paintings and it seems the same. Used this same technique in my paintings.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #147
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The images are not showing up here has something happened to them?

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #148
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nianticcardplayer View Post
The images are not showing up here has something happened to them?
Which images in particular? I am able to see all of the ones I've looked for so far. I could be overlooking something, so I might be able to track down the ones you need with a bit more detail.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #149
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

All of the ones in the how to on page two and the image in your first post...I am at work right now so I don't know if its work computer or not.

R

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #150
GrizzAndFish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm going to be brewing a batch of Yuri_Rage's "Thunderstruck" Pumpkin Ale soon to bring to Thanksgiving Dinner and am considering using this method for showing off homebrew to my family. I'll try to photograph the process and results. Thanks, Hokie, for the idea!

Quick Reply