New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > DIY Custom Crown Caps!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #121
snail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts

I apply the medium, then put the square 1"x1" paper right on the cap. Then I let it dry for little bit. After about 10 mins, I rub it off under water (hehe..) and it works, but the excess medium makes it look like crap. I got the paper from Staples. I think it was Epson matte presentation paper. Maybe I'll try it again...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #122
Northern
Recipes 

Sorry for my bad english.

Hi Hokie, first, thank you for sharing this project. I was looking for a "professionnal" way to identify my bottles without the PITA of removing labels.

I tried your method with the same materials as you and it did'nt seem to work for me. I have the same media (Golden Matte), Heavy weight presentation paper, inkjet printer and normal crown caps. I tried to let the medium dry for 5 min, 10min, 30min, 1 hour and I always got the same result; when I start to rub the moist paper with my thumb it goes well but when I try to remove the last "stage" of paper, the ink leave the cap. I can see the logo under the last thin layer of paper but it don't seem to adhere to the cap. I'll try to take some pictures of it to show you.

Any idea what could be the problem ? I would really like to be able to something like you to my crown caps.

Thank you very much,
Northern

PS.: What printer are you using ?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #123
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you're still around, Hokie, I'd love to see those pictures but it's saying your photobucket account is inactive again. (Also a few questions from others above if you have a few minutes!)

Old 01-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #124
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Let me give a big apology to everyone for not being more responsive!
I have been in Baghdad, Iraq for the past 6-7 months and I haven't had much of a chance to check out HBT... I've actually tried to avoid it to an extent because it kept reminding me of what I was missing back in the States.
A PM to my account finally brought this thread back to my attention once again.
I'm still in Baghdad, but I was able to log back into my photobucket account to show the images again in the thread...let me know if anyone is still having trouble seeing them.
Also, to address some people's concern about rubbing the image off of the cap when trying this method, I can try and explain what I do and the trouble I had starting out... First of all, the matte medium is applied in a *thin* layer. Before it dries, the piece of paper with the image on it needs to be pressed on. Essentially, the objective is to squeeze whatever excess matte medium is between the cap and the paper... yes some of the matte medium will build up around the "shoulder" (for lack of a better term) of the cap. Like I explain in my short tutorial, it needs to be scraped off once it's dry. Speaking of dried... I don't know exactly what is going on with every instance of people trying, but I kind of suspect folks aren't waiting long enough for the matte medium to dry. 5 minutes worked for me, but maybe because it was less humid in my area at that time of the year.
Also, a very light touch is absolutely necessary! It might be OK to be a little aggressive when initially rubbing off the paper under the running water, but as soon as you see the image appear, you almost want to hardly touch the paper in order to avoid scraping off the actual image. Essentially, it's only the paper's top coating that is left to protect the image underneath and it's definitely not tough as nails. You'll get the hang of it and it won't seem like such a chore after a few caps. If the image seems to melt away no matter what, then it's probably time to try a different type of paper...there is clearly nothing left to protect the matte medium from re-emulsifying once the paper has been rubbed away.
Another hint, don't let the image get too close to the edge (or shoulder as I've called it) of the cap, you'll almost certainly accidentally rub or chip away the image near that area trying to fix excess matte medium build-up or paper.
I'll check back periodically if you guys have any questions. I wish I could send some of you some sample of the paper I was using, but alas, it's all stored 7000 miles away from me right now.
Good luck, and like I said, I'll try and be a bit better about checking in on the thread for those of you that have any questions.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #125
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Let me give a big apology to everyone for not being more responsive!
I have been in Baghdad, Iraq for the past 6-7 months and I haven't had much of a chance to check out HBT...
*off topic*

A BIG THANK YOU for your Service!!!! Stay safe!
ps. thanks for this write up too!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #126
FortSanders
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hokie...great thread...will have to do this soon. I'd like to make xmas presents for friends(i know it's too early to think about christmas)...also does any one have any idea how to print underneath the top....similar to what magic hat does?

Also hokie thanks for what you are doing...my best friend is doing his second tour in iraq and my other good friend is in afghanistan...words cannot begin to describe my gratitude to the soldiers and our armed forces...god bless and good luck

Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #127
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortSanders View Post
Hokie...great thread...will have to do this soon. I'd like to make xmas presents for friends(i know it's too early to think about christmas)...also does any one have any idea how to print underneath the top....similar to what magic hat does?

Also hokie thanks for what you are doing...my best friend is doing his second tour in iraq and my other good friend is in afghanistan...words cannot begin to describe my gratitude to the soldiers and our armed forces...god bless and good luck
I believe that when they write under the cap, they are actually printing on the metal, and then the seal is added later, effectively preventing the liquid from contacting the writing. The seal is extremely thin in the center, and is nearly transparent.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #128
coy
Recipes 

first thank you for serving.
cool write up and usefull..

I was looking around the other day and found this. http://www.ableprint.com/bottlecaps.html

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #129
xjncoguyx
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Just finished some, they came out good.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #130
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjncoguyx View Post
Just finished some, they came out good.

Excellent job! I knew someone would be able to master it as well. I discovered that after a looong time, the lacquer I used would crack a lot when opening a bottle. It's probably worth experimenting with different kinds.

Sort of off-topic...has anyone ever procured copper-colored caps?...Like the occasional Dogfish Head caps. The picture above almost looked copperish and it made me wonder if they were available to the home brewer.

Quick Reply