Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Coasters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
NTexBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Coasters

Not sure if this has been shown or discussed before. I'm working on a Christmas Gift for the family that will be a Beer Glass, Coaster, and 750ml bottle of Home Brewed Tripel.

I figured I would post how I made the coasters as they are pretty easy. This could be used for your brewery logo, favorite craft brew label or anything else.

You can find the tiles at Home Depot for $4ish bucks and the felt dots for a few bucks, I got the mod podge, spray glue and sealer at Hobby Lobby. Can't remember how much all of that cost as I already had that. The tiles come in packs of 9.

I used resume paper to print on with my ink jet printer. I then sealed both sides of the print with the spray sealer. After drying I used the spray glue to spray the tile and back of the label and adhered them. This has seemed to work the best for me to prevent bubbles and peeling. Once that has dried I apply 2 to 3 coats of mod podge over the entire tile surface. I then give it a final coat of the sealer. Add the felt dots for feet and your are done.

It will not be a true thirsty stone because of the mod podge and sealer. For this reason they will function like cardboard or other type coasters and can sometimes stick to the glass.

There may be easier or more effective ways but this seems to work best for me.

I used the iphone Mobile Monet app to create the effect with the picture i took.

img_0001.jpg   img_0002.jpg   img_0003.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Hmmm... interesting idea. Any 4x4 tile should work depending on your label design if you want a flat slick colored perimeter or a stone like surface.

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 96

that is very cool! a local place (McMenamins) sells coasters that are very similar to these for their flagship beers. Always wondered a good way to make them, Thanks for this!

http://www.shopmcmenamins.com/categories/123-Coasters

Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 10-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
NTexBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://www.tilano.net/transfer-kits/marble-coaster-kit

The above kit is actually what got me started. One of our kids got this kit as a present a long time ago. The kit came with enough paper to make 12 coasters but only came with 4 tiles. With the kit you have to use a laser printer. The paper is special similar to an iron on transfer that you print a reverse image and peel off the back paper. While at Staples getting the laser printer copies the worker said she does this all the time with plain paper and tile from home depot. I have to say my low cost, low tech method compares pretty well with the kit. Also they make inkjet vellum that you could use to allow more color of the stone through. I did do some experimenting with the vellum and had it bubble on me. I did not try the vellum with the spray adhesive thought.

The beer logo coaster is from the kit. The other is using the technique described above.

I looked at the website above and they actually just sell the special paper too.
2coaster.jpg  

Quick Reply