Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Cheap and Easy Bottle Cap Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
jackson_d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cheap and Easy Bottle Cap Labels

Fellow Homebrewers...

I have not made to move to kegging due to finances. I would love to put nice graphic designs on bottle labels, but I re use most of my bottles and I HATE peeling lables. I was looking for a solution to my problem of labeling bottles but not having to peel them... Bottle Cap stickers? Yuh huh. Tried a few different options and styles and landed on this convienent little option. Pictures to follow...

A typical bottle cap is about 1" in diameter. So we want a sticker a little smaller to account for labeling while you are drunk and having some wiggle room beyond dead center. 3/4" will work best. Go to Staples. Item # 166132, 3/4" Print&Write Multiuse Labels. The package says they are removeable but this does not concern us. 1008 labels per package, they come in sheets of 4 lables across by 6 lables down. This allows you to mess up your first few printings and overprint due to 5.5 or 6.7 gal batches or any uneven number of bottles that your custom batch created without being upset that you printed more than you bottled... i.e they are cheap so chill out!

Here is one confusing thing. The outside of the package you will find hanging on the rack at the store will say 'item# 166132' when you open the package, the individual sheets will say 'item # 13932' in the top right. I have no idea why or how that works, but I would suggest you purchase based on the item number listed on the outside of the package...

when you find the sheets, use this link to get to the Template that will set up Microsoft Word to print appropriately on the stickers you just bought. I had a friend who is good with graphic design make very minor adjustments to my margins, but I'm sure with a little tinkering, you can figure it out for yourself...

Free Avery® Template for Microsoft Word, Round Label 5461

Enjoy! Now you can label your bottle caps without labeling the bottle and having to peel the labels everytime you want to re use the bottle...

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...
thadius856 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using the 3/4 round stickers since my printer crapped out. They work great and are cheap . I just write mine with a pen and stick em on.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
dilligas2u
Recipes 

I also use the round labels. If I remember right I got them from onlinelabels.com

Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
zzees
Recipes 

good find thanks.

In Bottles: All Empty, thanks the mead that's taking forever.
Beers we have known and loved: Amber Ale.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Good resource- thanks. The template for Word is the important part. Labels are available on Amazon cheap with free shipping. I've just been writing on the caps with a Sharpie up to this point, this'll be much better.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
kanielb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whenever I make labels for my bottles, I print them on regular, white printer paper. I cut them out and use a glue stick to glue the labels to the bottle. Works like a champ, its cheap, and it super easy to remove the label.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

+1 on the Glue Stick - soaks right off in the sink - stays on in the fridge.
a light spray of krylon and the inkjet won't run...

I DO have an old Coke machine, and I like the OPs labels for the bottles I can only see the top of...

Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That's a great find!

Good lookin out, thanks!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've been doing this for a few months with the Staples round labels. I had been using a Sanford paint pen to mark each bottle, but it took a strong ammonia solution to get rid of the paint marks prior to reuse... so I switched to this instead.

I like this method a lot and can label two cases in recycled commercial beer boxes in under 5 mins. Also, now I just look at the caps when I pull beer up from the basement to toss in the kitchen fridge. The same benefit occurs when you put the bottles in a cooler under ice; I dont have to pull a bottle to read a label. When wet, the stickers I use lose some opacity, but the ink from my laser printer holds up really well over the course of a day in the ice chest. Haven't had a problem yet.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's a great idea... my issue is you can't put bottles on ice for parties... labels fall right off once they get wet.

I just use a paint pen on the cap.

- JVD_X

Quick Reply