Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Brewery Logo Feedback, Please?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
m_stodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

You aren't a designer, and I think you're getting a lot responses from people that are designers as much as they are lawyers (everyone pretends to be one here).

If you want it done right, pay a designer, or post on reddit. You're going to get half baked opinions here looking for design feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
You aren't a designer, and I think you're getting a lot responses from people that are designers as much as they are lawyers (everyone pretends to be one here).

If you want it done right, pay a designer, or post on reddit. You're going to get half baked opinions here looking for design feedback.
You're right on all counts.

I'd hire a professional if I planned to sell my beer and it mattered how instantly recognizable, widely liked, or easily remembered my logo was. I don't and it doesn't. I plan to gift my beer.

As for "half baked opinions", they're exactly what I'm looking for. The friends and family I'm looking to give to aren't designers either. They're just your average beer drinkers, which is the group I've tried to appeal to for comment.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I think I'll pass this time. Perhaps later down the road if I'm ever ready to go pro.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
That's because it was.

This was drawn in a cutter program, so that I can slice it out of a sheet of vinyl. The background is just a reference grid to aid with drawing it.

Here it is, in false color, using the preview mode.

Boy, I sure like the red better than the green. Maybe shade the letters in a little black? I think that'd look sharp.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #24
JiBiru8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I liked the sprocket idea, along with the sprocket middle. I do agree with the others on here who have said that the copy needs to be bigger.

Your second logo looks great! The "w" does look a little funny to me though.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73 View Post
Boy, I sure like the red better than the green. Maybe shade the letters in a little black? I think that'd look sharp.
This was designed on a cutter program. It could be any color you like it to be.

My vinyl cutter would just cut the shape out of whatever vinyl I placed in the machine. Could be white or black or purple or yellow or silver. The red is just the "Print Preview" color in that program, if you will.

The idea was to add styling and texture to it once I had the stencil graphic done. But that never came to be.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856
Welp, I tossed the idea. Racked my brain all last night and couldn't figure out anything that worked. The name just didn't seem right, the logo was too difficult to make work, etc.

Back to the drawing board. I needed a theme and a name that suited me. So I did what I usually do when trying to name thing: go to a random page on Wikipedia, click links that look interesting and after about 10 pages, you'll find yourself pretty well entrenched in a theme of some sort. Sure as ****, it happened.

Scribbed down notes, then came home and slept. Woke up, tossed the new drawing program I'd been using out of the window, and loaded up Illustrator. Much more functional, logical, easy for me to adapt to. Here's the result.

A 'cryptid' is a creature or plant that science has not proven exists, but some people believe to. For example, Bigfoot. This stuff has always fascinated me. It also leaves plenty of room for themed beers.

Already planning a Triple IPA I name to 'Cerberus'.
I like your theme. The name can be catchy. You should brew like an underground street artist and pass your beer out in the wee hours. Leave your beer gifts in unsuspecting places. Make it fun for your friends and family. If the definition of Cryptid covers mythical entities, the fun will never stop. You have inspired me to brew a beer series called "Charon's Ferry Ales".

Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make a steam-punk style logo with cogs and pressure chambers or something.....if this helps at all...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 264

FWIW, I don't care for the Cryptid design. To me it is too busy and the font is hard to read. I do like the idea of the name and theme, though

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
thadius856

Recipes 

Been working on the emboss/vinyl/imprint version. That one has to be monochrome without too terribly much detail.

In Illustrator:

In my cutting program:

In real life (Altoids for scale):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
and the font is hard to read.
That's sort of the idea.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Maybe it's because I don't have my glasses on, but it reminds me of the posters that were going around in the mid 90s that you had to focus your eyes when you were real close and then back away to see what it really was. It would probably look good on the back of a sweatshirt, gotta think about the merchandise.
Neat concept on the brewery. I imagine it's hard to find a hook that hasn't been used before.

Quick Reply