Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > BIG Joe Willams' Sloppy Drunk Mild Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
The Soft Underbelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
For some reason I never got way into Jimmy Rogers. Don't dislike him. I do know he's a wonderful guitarist.

As a blues fan one of the great things is being able to find new artist, new takes on old songs, etc. The recorded history is so long it's really hard to exhaust all the resources, or atleast it is hard to do so on my budget! Bentonia MS is about 30 mins up the road from me and I've made a point of seeking out the recordings from that area. It's known mostly for Skip James and Jack Owens, it's played in A minor, a very droning dark sound very different from the other major styles. Even now it's producing new vibrant musicians that are as skilled in it's style as the guys from the 30's. Check out Jimmy Duck Holmes recorded by Broke and Hungry Records. I consider he and Bud Spires among my friends. Bud actually helped me learn how to blow harp.
I'll be sure to check those artists out, always looking for good music that i haven't heard before. Are you down with a radio program called Blues Before Sunrise? Hands down my favorite blues radio program. Airs on NPR stations generally at midnight on Saturday, you can stream on their web site too.

I suppose my preference for Jimmy Rogers is due his Chess records connection. So much good music came out of that studio. Alas this is August though and it's all i can do to stop listening to jazz what with the Chicago jazz fest fast approaching.....

just so I'm not totally off topic, i don't suppose you have your Mild recipe anywhere, my first batch was a mild kit and I'd like to do another soon....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soft Underbelly View Post
I'll be sure to check those artists out, always looking for good music that i haven't heard before. Are you down with a radio program called Blues Before Sunrise? Hands down my favorite blues radio program. Airs on NPR stations generally at midnight on Saturday, you can stream on their web site too.

I suppose my preference for Jimmy Rogers is due his Chess records connection. So much good music came out of that studio. Alas this is August though and it's all i can do to stop listening to jazz what with the Chicago jazz fest fast approaching.....

just so I'm not totally off topic, i don't suppose you have your Mild recipe anywhere, my first batch was a mild kit and I'd like to do another soon....
Hey I just noticed your from Joliet IL. I suppose Joliet is made most famous from it's mentions in Blues Brothers, or maybe it's just me! An amazing movie, but not a good thing for the blues in alot of ways.

I've heard Blues B4 Sunrise, it's okay, I'm not sure it's still on around here. Suppose I was spoiled with "Hwy 61" blues program that aired on and originated from Misisipi Pub. Radio. It was awesome, I remember listening to it when I was pre pubescent. Something about the music has always touched my soul in a way few things could even approach. It's just in my blood I suppose. Whooa that's kind of introspective... I've got alot of friends that just don't get my intrest in old black men

The recipe is simple enough. It's Jamil's recipe with 1/2 lb carapils added.
Fermentables:
5# Marris Otter (Any British Pale Malt will do)
.75# Crystal 60
.5# Crystal 120
.375# Chocolate Malt
.5# CaraPils
Hops:
.75 oz. Kent Goldings - 60 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 20 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 0 Mins.
Your IBU target is 17-20. Also if you want to keep it in style eleminate both late boil additions.
Yeast:
Safale S-04 (pitched on approx 1 qt of yeast cake from Irish Red Ale)

Mash @ 158 degrees
Brewhouse Eff. 71%
O.G. 1.036
target F.G. 1.011

Google Bud Spires and/or Bentonia Blues. Good stuff. You can hear some by going to the Broke and Hungry Records website (google it also), and clicking the link to their myspace page. I'm a big fan of www.fatpossum.com Fat Possum Records, RL Burnside, Junior Kimbrough etc. Also easily the best book on the blues I've ever read is Deep Blues by Robert Palmer. Also go to ebay/amazon and order the "Deep Blues" documentary, it's MUST SEE for ANY blues fan. Has awesome video of guys most people haven't heard of like Roosevelt "Boobie" Barnes, Jack Owens & Bud Spires, and an especially good couple of songs by the late Lonnie Pitchford, step son of Robert Jr. Lockwood a really innovative bluesman whom struggled to distance himself from his step father's shadow, Robert Johnson. Lonnie's only full length CD was "All Around Man" (I can't find my copy DANG!!!) and it is amazing, buy it if you can find it! He died at age 43 from AIDS, a career like many cut short of it's peak! Hmmm may have found inspiration for my next bier!!!

Schlante,
Phillip

Sorry to be SO LONG!!! and Just make sure you check out Deep Blues documentary and you'll understand!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 08-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
apparatus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Looks GREAT. I love it.

Apparatus

Old 08-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Hey I just noticed your from Joliet IL. I suppose Joliet is made most famous from it's mentions in Blues Brothers, or maybe it's just me! An amazing movie, but not a good thing for the blues in alot of ways.
YES!!!! I've was on the phone with a customer service rep in India once and when i give him my address he asked if it was the same Joliet from the blues brothers. That blew my mind. I love that movie though, looking back, that movie opened so many doors to me musically that might otherwise have stayed close for years. Plus it's just a damn funny film.

Love R.L. Burnside, love the stuff he was doing at the end of his career too, remarkable guy. never got to see him live, but did catch his son with the North Mississippi All stars once and that was a killer show. Fat Possum is a great label too, so is Alligator.... man i could go on and on....

I'll have to give that recipe a try, thanks for posting.

Quick Reply