HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Better late than never

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Wheat King
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

like everyone else said, those ook awesome. i love everything about your label from the brown bag paper to the way the words sort of stumble down. great work, very inspiring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
kvh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
What a great idea but it sure looks like it took a lot of time and work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfldodger
beautifully done! I think you just gave me some inspiration for my christmas brew packaging. do you do graphic design work or is it just a side interest?
They certainly took some effort. I work at an art school as the tech for their printmaking department. I printed these from photo plates on old letterpress equipment. We only went through all that trouble because the first line of labels I made with silkscreens bled due to the acrylic ink.

So, yes - they were printed on butcher's paper - essentially grocery bag material. The ink was all oil-based for water reasons. The glue was something called Rhoplex, which is an obscure printmaker's ink and is latex based. It's non-toxic, moderately water-resistant, and peels off when soaked in water.

Our next big project is a batch of summer pilsners in large bottles, covered in really thin adhesive sheets of cork (shelf liner from Lowes) which have been printed on. The 'labels' would be permenant, but they would keep the beer cold and your hand dry! A SELF COZIED BEER!!

Anyway - thanks....

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Last edited by kvh; 08-22-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
kvh
Recipes 

oops - double posting ... ignore this.

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Last edited by kvh; 08-22-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
Wheat King

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh
Our next big project is a batch of summer pilsners in large bottles, covered in really thin adhesive sheets of cork (shelf liner from Lowes) which have been printed on. The 'labels' would be permenant, but they would keep the beer cold and your hand dry! A SELF COZIED BEER!!
nice! cant wait to see some pics of these!

Quick Reply