beer Cases?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask around at liquor stores. The 6-packs are shipped in those boxes and the liquor stores just break them down and toss them when they restock. If you sweet talk some of the folks there, they will probably set aside some boxes for you.

BTW, try to get *tall* cases. Sam Adams and Widmer cases are fine for most beer bottles in my experience, but try putting long neck beers into a Sierra Nevada case and you'll be frustrated.

If you are specifically looking for white, unprinted boxes I have never seen them. I've asked around at a few LHBS and was told there is no such thing.

damn yeah i thought it would be cool to have blank ones but i also need some for storing ill check my liquor store thanks

When I bought new bottles (not enough Sam adams bottels around when I went to do my first batch) I bought them in cases of 12...not white, but not printed.

Plain cardboard in that beautiful plain brown cardboard color. And actually more sturdy than your Sam Adams case. I still use it now for transport of commerical and homebrew.

Don't know what you want the cases for (i.e. how nice they have to be), but milk crates work great for storing bottles. Your standard milk crate just fits 24 regular bottles (SN bottles are a little wider, so you can only get about 22 in there) and will never collapse, so you don't have to worry about them getting wet at all. Plus they're really easy to stack.

Just last month I threw the rest of my cardboard cases in the recycling.

I picked some up at work. I work in a high school and they have tons of them outside the cafeteria. Or you coudl pick up some of hte "storage crates" at your local wal-mart or target.

How do you come by the Milk Crates?

I picked some up at work. I work in a high school and they have tons of them outside the cafeteria. Or you coudl pick up some of hte "storage crates" at your local wal-mart or target.

Be careful about taking milk crates, just like kegs, they belong to the dairy and I have heard you can be fined for taking them...in some states.

How do you come by the Milk Crates?

Well, let's just say that someone I know very well often walks by a supermarket, and in the parking lot of this supermarket there's often a huge stack of milk crates. So let's just say that this someone sometimes may happen to get home and notice that one or two of those milk crates ended up in his hands. Totally inexplicable.

But if you keep your eyes peeled, they're all around - check the back of liquor stores and the like, especially at night. Or sometimes I just see them sitting on the street. Not that I'm advocating anything illegal here. That's why I let this other someone that I know take care of things. ;)

Personally I'm not a fan of milk crates because they don't fit on my shelves, while the regular beer cases do. I don't have anyplace to stack a bunch of milk crates, but I have a ton of shelving in my pantry, so that's where all my beer goes.

As far as the milk crates go, a green plastic Shamrock farms crate will fit 35 longnecks/crate. I'm not saying it's legal to take them nor possess them, however, almost every supermarket will have a crap load of them ripe for the picking near the laoding docks. Good luck!

If you have access to tools, it wouldn't be too hard to custom build some simple boxes out of plywood. This will allow you to make them exactly the size that you want, and they'd be a lot more durable than cardboard. Then stain/paint and/or label as desired.

I'm working on a project like this for my 40 or so grolsch bottles, 2 stackable case boxes that will each have individual partitions for 20 pint bottles. I haven't gotten that far with it yet, because I'm making it a lot more complicated than it has to be (sadly, that's usually how I roll). Will post pics when I start putting them together.

CrazyJames wrote:
Heres a picture of a plywood case I saw posted in another thread..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/4x4-brewing-120881/#post1429116

Time for me to brush up on some woodworking skills.

Cool thread in general. Nice work, whoever made those boxes. Those were low profile, so they were almost like trays. I want to make mine deep enough that I can put a lid on 'em to keep out the light, to protect against skunking (much more of an issue with green glass than with amber colored bottles, according to the common wisdom).

Back