The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Anyone found blank decals that can be printed on with a basic printer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
TheH2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Anyone found blank decals that can be printed on with a basic printer?

I really don't feel like printing labels up for each batch of beer that I make but would love to come up with a brewery name and logo that I could print on decals once and then reuse. Anyone do this? Does this even exist?

My wife was putting a decal on the car and thought it would be a great idea for beer bottles, if of course I could buy them blank and print from my home printer.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Many LHBS here carry them. Have you tried a paper supply store like Staples.

My LHBS has semi printed labels which can be added to on a program and then printed. I had wine labels done this way, but it would be too expensive for everyday beer botles labeling.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My LHBS doesn't carry any type of labels and I have looked online for it at a few supply stores (including Staples) but not in the store.

I have found clear labels, but none that are reusable decals, i.e. put some windex on the back of the decal and slap it on my bottle.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just a couple suggestions here:

1)You might want to stick (pun intended) with water based glues and plain paper. It really makes cleaning up the bottles a breeze.

2)I have been using the same basic background and simply adding the text to describe the contents of the bottle and the important info, like bottling date, and other batch specific stuff like ABV and "please return bottle" etc.....

Wal Mart, and other places I imagine too, has parchment paper in multi-color packs. This paper has a pretty nice feel and appearance, yet absorbs water readily when it comes time to clean it off the bottles.

While I'm at it, and please bear with me if you're well aware of this already as I'm sure there's a few people who might not be aware of it:
This page might help if you're having a hard time utilizing paper efficiently for your labels. It will work with most image file types.

Matt

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 12-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Do you bottle?

When I bottle (with crown caps) I use Avery labels #05410 that are 1" round and fit the cap great. They come 600 labels to a pack for a few bucks.

There's also a link to the Avery site where you can download the template and it'll place an icon in your MS-Word tool bar.

If you place your bottles in a cooler (in the summer) you'll be looking at the tops of the bottle anyway.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My brother in law had decals made for his band, and i am trying to find out where he ordered them from. I think it would look like stone brewery labels. Not reusable, but i had the same idea of slapping my brew name on the bottles.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1673

You could always try silkscreening your logo onto the bottles, or maybe spraypaint & stencils. The catch is that both ways are permanent. Regards, GF.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Static Cling labels may be what you're searching for.

I think you can inkjet on these, spray with some clear krylon (since inkjet ink is water soluble and will run/bleed) and use/re-use as needed.

Water-slide decals are out there (look on e-bay to avoid buying large quantities) but I don't think they're re-usable.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Go to onlinelabels.com and order a bunch of samples of different sizes/types. Most are of the sticky type, but would work for bottle caps. Poke around there; it's free to you, and they'll send you a lot of labels as samples.

edit: http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL3078.htm -- beer labels

http://www.onlinelabels.com/material...ble_labels.htm -- removable labels

Last edited by kaiser423; 07-21-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Go to onlinelabels.com and order a bunch of samples of different sizes/types. Most are of the sticky type, but would work for bottle caps. Poke around there; it's free to you, and they'll send you a lot of labels as samples.

Just browsed the site, and they appear to have done away with their samples program. But still, pretty much every label that you would ever think of is on there...

Beer Bottle Labels - Bottle Labels - OL3078 - 3.4956" x 2.9944" - 8 Labels Per Sheet -- removable beer labels

The regular OL3078 is beer labels with permanent adhesive. You could always just go with a bunch of rectangular labels per page also that are the right aspect ratio...

I don't think that you can get a waterproof label with removable adhesive. But their waterproof labels are *tough*. They might be able to handle a good soaking. I know that the labels from a local brewery around here are "waterproof", and oxi-clean, star san, etc have zero effect on the label other than cleaning it!

Sorry for the double-post. My work proxy is causing some connection issues!

Last edited by kaiser423; 07-21-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply