Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Alternative to Avery Mailing Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 676 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Default Alternative to Avery Mailing Labels

I have been using Avery labels for my beer bottles. I like what I can do with them in a short period of time. Easy to print (laser color printer), decent quality and I just print and peel. The rub is that they can sometimes be a bugger to get off the bottle. Any ideas of how to replicate the ease of printing and applying, but eliminating (or easing) the difficulty of removing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 146 Posts

I print and apply milk to the back with a basting brush and stick them on. Works perfectly. The trade off is cutting time vs pealing off a sticker. Short soak in oxy and they fall off on their own.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
I print and apply milk to the back with a basting brush and stick them on. Works perfectly. The trade off is cutting time vs pealing off a sticker. Short soak in oxy and they fall off on their own.
I know about those but that sounds like just as much work on the front end, and I have tried milk and have not been thrilled with the results. I want something self adhesive that isn't impossible to remove. The first time I used mailing labels, they came off fairly easily. The last batch was about 50% easy removal and 50% throw the bottle in the recycle bin because it's not worth the time.

EDIT: but thank you for the suggestion. I am looking at just about all easy alternatives.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Warthaug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A concentrated gelatin solution works better than milk. Its waterproof in cold water, but washes right off in hot. It what I use.

I also had success with that amber-coloured childrens glue; the stuff which comes with a rubber dabber on top. Not as easy to get off as gelatin, but far better than mailing labels.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthaug View Post
A concentrated gelatin solution works better than milk. Its waterproof in cold water, but washes right off in hot. It what I use.

I also had success with that amber-coloured childrens glue; the stuff which comes with a rubber dabber on top. Not as easy to get off as gelatin, but far better than mailing labels.

Bryan
I do not want to be cutting paper to size. I want self adhesive, pre-cut, options only. If such a thing does not exist, I'll stick with Avery.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
zeekage
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you need the whole area provided by the avery labels? When i bottle i use the 3/4" round stickers and put them on the caps. Nothing to clean up that way. I think the 1" ones will fit too but haven't tried them yet. It's enough room i can usually get the beer name/date/abv on there.

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removabl...y+labels+round

Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Ridire

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
Do you need the whole area provided by the avery labels? When i bottle i use the 3/4" round stickers and put them on the caps. Nothing to clean up that way. I think the 1" ones will fit too but haven't tried them yet. It's enough room i can usually get the beer name/date/abv on there.

But I like designing the labels and making them look like a "real beer". I know it is a hassle but I like doing it. Just wish I didn't have to spend so much effort cleaning them off. Honestly, though, I have so many bottles that I guess it isn't that much of a burden to just toss the bottles that don't easily come clean into the recycle bin.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Ridire

Recipes 

I guess another idea would be something I could easily put on the bottle before labeling it that would allow for easy removal.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post

This is what I use. Removing labels from a bottle once is enough for me.

I brew way too much beer to play the whole pretty label game, Id rather spend my time with other aspects in the hobby.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
stoneBriar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use the 2x4 avery labels but before sticking them on a bottle I slap them on a damp wash cloth that has a generous helping of dish soap in it. There's still enough stick to keep the label on through condensation and ice coolers but it makes removal with hot water a breeze.

Quick Reply