Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Vinnie Bottles now at Rebel Brewer 375ml Belgian

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
Rebel_Brewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Our standard Double Lever Portuguese Corker works like a charm for $15.75.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Double-Lever-Corker-%252d-Portuguese.html

I've used one many times on the belgian beer bottles. There are a couple of tricks and I should probably post a video on it. But basically the beer corks are a little thicker than a wine cork. So you will need to "soak the cork" or at least dip the corks in a Star San solution while bottling (it will both lubricate and sanitize them). At the top of the center pole of the corker, wrap a piece of scotch tape horizantally, right at the top. This will be your visual "stop" to leave the right amount of cork protruding from the top of the bottle (so the wire cage can do it's thing).
Then take a cork, push it down into the cork chamber of the corker to give it a head start. Put the corker on top of the bottle and pull down the levers just until the bottom of the tape touches the top of the main corker body. Apply the wire cage and twist the bottom wire unil snug making sure the down wires are fairly evenly spaced.
That's it, fast and easy.

Our Store: Rebel Brewer Homebrew Supply
and
On FaceBook: www.facebook.com/rebelbrewer

Gothic_Horror Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Would those bottles work with the plastic champagne stoppers?

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 69

2 cases for me.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Rebel_Brewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It's great to see that some other shops have now added these great bottles to their catalog.
Even though all of our market research and customer input indicated to us that $17 per case was a fair price (and as indicated by all of the pre-sales), it looks like the market price is settling out around $12. It's a new product, sometimes it takes awhile for it to find it's place. So as a result we have dropped our price (now it looks like we are the ones doing the flattering ).
All the many of you who have already placed your orders have been issued a refund of $5 for each case you ordered, and the new price has been posted to the website. Your bottles should be shipping out to you on Monday.

Much love to the brewing nation,
Tom

and

Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'll add something about corking these. If you plan on using these kind of bottles frequently I highly suggest a Ferrari Champagne Floor Corker. Sure they're more expensive but they're built like a tank and they are designed for larger than standard corks. The extent of modification needed is to add a little booster to the bottle platform. They are designed for 750s-1.5L bottles but the 375s are easy enough with a 4"-5" boost for the bottle.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #26
Rebel_Brewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Would those bottles work with the plastic champagne stoppers?
I just tried that out and the opening in the bottle is too wide for the Champagne stopper, it kinda just fell in. The bottles really do need the fat beer corks, but it would be nice if there were a Champagne stopper that would fit it.

-Tom

and

Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I'll add something about corking these. If you plan on using these kind of bottles frequently I highly suggest a Ferrari Champagne Floor Corker. Sure they're more expensive but they're built like a tank and they are designed for larger than standard corks. The extent of modification needed is to add a little booster to the bottle platform. They are designed for 750s-1.5L bottles but the 375s are easy enough with a 4"-5" boost for the bottle.
Are these Ferrari corkers adjustable in that you can set the cork only partially? I got the hand one in this thread but it's really only good for setting it all the way in (although I haven't tried Tom's tape indexing method yet). I was thinking of getting a Portuguese floor corker but I don't mind paying extra if something is easily worth the extra cash. It's not often I would own anything by Ferrari...

I see on the AHS site they sell this but with a champagne capping option. Anyone know anything about that? I'm not following exactly what he means by that? Is he merely including a 29 mm hand capper?

And Tom, thanks for the fast shipping on these. Got them very fast. Now I need to finish some beers to put in these bad boys.
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #28
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey Tom, how about shipping these bottles to Canada?

Also I cork the big Belgian bottles with a Portuguese corker. Put a no. 7 stopper over the metal corker rod and adjust the nut as necessary to get the corks at the right level. Just enough room in the corker for Belgian corks, but if they get stuck throw another cork on top and push down, it will help get the bottle out.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #29
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
Are these Ferrari corkers adjustable in that you can set the cork only partially? I got the hand one in this thread but it's really only good for setting it all the way in (although I haven't tried Tom's tape indexing method yet). I was thinking of getting a Portuguese floor corker but I don't mind paying extra if something is easily worth the extra cash. It's not often I would own anything by Ferrari...

I see on the AHS site they sell this but with a champagne capping option. Anyone know anything about that? I'm not following exactly what he means by that? Is he merely including a 29 mm hand capper?

And Tom, thanks for the fast shipping on these. Got them very fast. Now I need to finish some beers to put in these bad boys.
Yes they are adjustable for cork depth. You can go all in or you can go partially in as is needed for bottling in champagne or belgian bottles. The capper option just a capper bell that attaches underneath the cork iris. I assume it can be swapped between 29mm and 26mm caps I don't know much more about it though since I have a separate bench capper and never bothered to get the attachment.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #30
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Nice looking deal. Thanks for posting.

I saw one of these at the LHBS in Tucson this past weekend. Big mother. I don't think I'll have room to store the SOB....

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Quick Reply