Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Used liquor barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 02:47 AM   #31
Bottenbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers77 View Post
Hey guys,
Looks like we will be getting 3 5 gallon heavy char rum barrels from the distillers in March.

These are slightly different (thicker staves) and more expensive than the ones we just sold. If you are interested let me know they will be $115 + shipping.
John
In. If you still have my PM's you have my info, if not let me know and I'll resend it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #32
xxHelderxx
Recipes 

@Virant- GREAT info man thanks so much. Quick question though. These barrels have been recently dumped, so Im guessing when we receive them they'll be empty. By what your buddy said, do you think it would be best to pour some spirits into it when i receive it and then proceed accordingly? I just want to make sure i preserve that character.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #33
amrmedic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are there any more 5 gallon barrels?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #34
Virant518
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxHelderxx View Post
@Virant- GREAT info man thanks so much. Quick question though. These barrels have been recently dumped, so Im guessing when we receive them they'll be empty. By what your buddy said, do you think it would be best to pour some spirits into it when i receive it and then proceed accordingly? I just want to make sure i preserve that character.

Thanks for your help!
The barrel that I recieved actually contains some raw spirits from the distillery still. If yours doesn't, then yes, I would add some.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #35
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

mine had a very little bit of residual liquor in it, but smelled incredibly of rum. I added about 1-2 cups of rum to it to keep it sanitized and plan to fill it with an old ale I'll be brewing next weekend and leaving in for several months. Great quality stuff as usual John!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #36
Virant518
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
mine had a very little bit of residual liquor in it, but smelled incredibly of rum. I added about 1-2 cups of rum to it to keep it sanitized and plan to fill it with an old ale I'll be brewing next weekend and leaving in for several months. Great quality stuff as usual John!
One thing to consider is the surface area to volume ratio as opposed to a 32 gallon barrel. The local distillery by my house uses their 10 gallon barrels for a single malt whiskey and ages for 7 months, which they claim gives them a similar taste to a 10 year old single malt.

You're going to develop a lot of barrel character in the beer in a short period of time. Give it a shot after a week or so and see what you think before potentially ruining a batch of beer.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #37
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virant518 View Post
One thing to consider is the surface area to volume ratio as opposed to a 32 gallon barrel. The local distillery by my house uses their 10 gallon barrels for a single malt whiskey and ages for 7 months, which they claim gives them a similar taste to a 10 year old single malt.

You're going to develop a lot of barrel character in the beer in a short period of time. Give it a shot after a week or so and see what you think before potentially ruining a batch of beer.
Oh I know its a much higher rate, didn't realize it was quite that high tho (nearly 20x!). I guess I'll be tasting it along the way earlier than planned, but its gunna be sitting for quite some time so I think I'll be OK either way.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #38
crazyirishman34
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 88

What would be shipping to 02904 be?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #39
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virant518 View Post

The stiller actually ages in these barrels for 4 months, so that gives you an idea of how fast these barrels impart flavor. I would agree with having multiple beers being ready for the barrel because of the speed in which it will impart flavor, age the first for a couple of weeks, then rack it out and put the next beer in. We use 5 gallon (new) barrels for wine and the first batch run through it took only about 2 weeks to be oaked, the next was about a month, and so on.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #40
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

shipping to 19054 (home)? or 08837 (work)?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS