Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > That time of year again... Spike Brewing Group Kettle Purchase!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
danielc409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: groves, texas
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing View Post
They should start arriving today! If anyone wants tracking let me know. I didn't update it on the site like we normally do to avoid confusion.
Pm'd with order number, thanks.
__________________
danielc409 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #42
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 298
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I got mine Wed, but I was so busy I didn't have time to unbox it till last night. I like it a lot. Word of warning: they arrive extremely dirty. Mine was covered in some kind of grease and black soot material. I'm guessing they came straight from the welder and into a box. My ports were so dirty I thought Ben had brass bulkheads welded in there. Only after a round of Barkeeper's Friend did I realize they were actually SS. So don't panic if you get yours, that ain't brass

This isn't complaining though. I think the kettle is of good quality and an excellent deal.

__________________
uberg33k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #43
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SpikeBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 762
Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
I got mine Wed, but I was so busy I didn't have time to unbox it till last night. I like it a lot. Word of warning: they arrive extremely dirty. Mine was covered in some kind of grease and black soot material. I'm guessing they came straight from the welder and into a box. My ports were so dirty I thought Ben had brass bulkheads welded in there. Only after a round of Barkeeper's Friend did I realize they were actually SS. So don't panic if you get yours, that ain't brass

This isn't complaining though. I think the kettle is of good quality and an excellent deal.
The kettle should not have been dirty. They :should: get a good wipe down before shipping; our apologies!

As for the "brass coupler" lol.... That's the second time in as many weeks we've heard that. Here's the train of thought: when stainless is welded at the right temperature it will turn the straw, bronze, brass color. It's our little way to brag that they have been welded correctly. Now many (most) people aren't welding experts so they have that same confusion. I also like the bluish hue that the welding gives.

Question is: Should we look into polishing the kettle after welding? It may add a few bucks is the only thing?
__________________
SpikeBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 298
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing View Post
The kettle should not have been dirty. They :should: get a good wipe down before shipping; our apologies!
No worries dude. Even if it came out of the box sparkling, I would have given it a thorough cleaning before use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing View Post
Question is: Should we look into polishing the kettle after welding? It may add a few bucks is the only thing?
I suppose you could make it an add-on option, but I'd be happy with a slip of paper in the box letting you know what's up. Even just putting something about it in the description on the website so people have some idea of what's going on would be nice. I just went through the 7 stages of grief in about 10 minutes after I opened the box only to feel like a dumbass after cleaning it.
__________________
uberg33k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #45
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SpikeBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 762
Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
I suppose you could make it an add-on option, but I'd be happy with a slip of paper in the box letting you know what's up. Even just putting something about it in the description on the website so people have some idea of what's going on would be nice. I just went through the 7 stages of grief in about 10 minutes after I opened the box only to feel like a dumbass after cleaning it.
Ha ha! The other person that thought we welded a brass fitting on gave me an earful! But I explained how the stainless gets that straw hue and it was all good. I think the slip of paper is a good idea. Or even an instruction manual on cleaning, up keep, using Teflon tape, do/don't, etc. Great idea!
__________________
SpikeBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #46
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 2,095
Liked 413 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Default

Got mine today! Brewing tomorrow!!!

__________________

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

jbaysurfer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #47
Irish13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA, Washington
Posts: 104
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I got mine last night. Brew day today..... can't decide on what to brew first. DIPA or Breakfast Stout. Heck I might just do both.

Thanks Ben, the Kettle looks/is BA.

__________________
There are good ships, there are wood ships and the ships that sail the sea.

But the best ships, are friendships,
and may they always be.
Irish13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #48
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SpikeBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 762
Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
Got mine today! Brewing tomorrow!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish13 View Post
I got mine last night. Brew day today..... can't decide on what to brew first. DIPA or Breakfast Stout. Heck I might just do both.

Thanks Ben, the Kettle looks/is BA.
Glad they made it in time for the weekend guys! Post up some pics of them in action!!
__________________
SpikeBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #49
danielc409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: groves, texas
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Mine came in on time as well. I did notice that the welded wasn't cleaned up but that didn't bother me. The only thing was the stickers on the side of the pots that I removed and had to scrub for a bit to remove the remaining adhesive.

They are a lot heavier than I expected, which would be a good thing, I was expecting them to be a little more thinner for the price but I was surprised. The fittings and valves fit fine, just have to do a little torquing down to get the valves in the position that I wanted. But now that someone mentioned scrubbing, I'll have to take mine apart to get them cleaned up first before using them.

I should be brewing here within the week so I'll get some pictures of them in action. Here they are as of yesterday ( lids not on but were included ):

__________________
danielc409 is offline
SpikeBrewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #50
Irish13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA, Washington
Posts: 104
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Here's my puppy in action.

image-2223096739.jpg   image-3630348170.jpg  
__________________
There are good ships, there are wood ships and the ships that sail the sea.

But the best ships, are friendships,
and may they always be.
Irish13 is offline
SpikeBrewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spike Brewing 15gal Kettle Group Purchase! SpikeBrewing Sponsor Showcase 8 05-29-2013 09:50 PM
Spike Brewing Kettles Back In Stock SpikeBrewing Sponsor Showcase 0 05-07-2012 09:10 PM
Kicking around the idea of a 15gal kettle group purchase... SpikeBrewing Sponsor Showcase 58 04-19-2012 10:38 PM
Introducing the Spike Brewing Bargain Cave! SpikeBrewing Sponsor Showcase 8 04-06-2012 11:17 PM